Pm1236

I actually redesigned many of the threaded features on my parts lineup, just so I didn't have to deal with change gears. Luckily, that was an option for me.

It isn't even bad to change the gears at this point, but in the beginning I needed a puller to get them off until they wore in a bit. That was annoying, but much better than a sloppy fit of course.

The Taiwanese lathes I use at work have minor issues as well, but really well built where it counts.

A Hardinge HLV-EM would certainly be welcome in my shop, but yes more than likely a 1340GT is in my future.

Lots of good advice here. I bought a used older pretty worn Craftsman 8" lathe around 1980, used it a little until I retired in 1999, and looked at different makes and models to upgrade to for a while. In 2017 I ordered the 1236(Chinese) lathe from Matt after talking with him with the preferred package and installed dro. In my opinion it was the best value in many different makes I looked at over a period of a year or so. I am not a pro or trained machinist by trade but was a trained millright by trade and worked in a paper mill for 43 years so I knew the basics and was familiar with machinist work in general. When I received my 1236 I put it together, cleaned it up, leveled it out per the instructions and the first test cut I did was check the tolerance on a shaft about 6 inches long. The difference in the diameter on that six inches was a half thousandth which is very good, in fact much better than I am a machinist. I guess what I am trying to say is that the Chinese machine will do everything and more than most people need in a lathe unless you are working to very extreme tolerances like for something on a space shuttle. Of coarse you can always spend more to get more precision, better workmanship, or more rigidity in a better or higher priced machine. I had a problem with the chinese motor on mine after about a year and Matt immediately offered to sent me a new one with nothing other than me emailing him and telling him the problem. He also gave me the option of paying a little difference and substituting an American made motor which I did. The after sales service cannot be beat with Matt's company and in my case I am very happy with my Chinese machine. Just my opinion and worth every cent you paid for it. I hope it helps in your decision.

Back