[4]

PM1340 Compound Backlash Adjustment

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

bretthl

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Anyone here know if there is a way to adjust the back lash in the compound?

Firstgear

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I also need a few pointers, for both the compound and the cross slide. I have almost a full rotation on the cross slide. They need to be smooth as silk, but they aren’t.....must be an adjustment. I have the 1440 GS.

bretthl

I also need a few pointers, for both the compound and the cross slide. I have almost a full rotation on the cross slide. They need to be smooth as silk, but they aren’t.....must be an adjustment. I have the 1440 GS.
The cross slide back lash can be adjusted on the 1340. I have not done it but it is described in the manual. Probably similar on the 1440? Gib adjustment too is described in the manual. I can't find any description of compound back lash adjustment. Might not be possible on these machines.

Firstgear

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
have you had any luck and if so, what did you do?

jbolt

Active User
I don't use the compound on my current lathe but on my old lathe I used a small gas spring to keep the compound biased in one direction. Worked well in most cases.

bretthl

have you had any luck and if so, what did you do?
On the compound - I loosened the set screw and turned the flange screw with a pin wrench about 15 degrees until I could just barely feel the pre-load and then tightened the set screw. The back lash went from 0.009" to 0.003" with no change in resistance during feed. Happy with that. Prior to I could push and pull on the hand wheel and feel the end play.

Reactions: Z2V
[6]
[5] [7]