PM1340GT compound not moving smoothly

denkenz

Registered
Registered
I've received my PM1340GT in early September and only now reached a point where I can go over the machine properly (time spent finishing up other projects, getting the stand welded up and the lathe moved into position.)

One thing I noticed is that the compound doesn't move smoothly through its full range of travel. The last 4-5 revolutions at the end of travel (going clockwise) have definite binding. I tried a full disassembly / clean / lube and it didn't seem to help any. The gib adjustment also doesn't seem to have any affect. I now have the gibs pretty loose and the last 4-5 revolutions still have a 'kink' to them.

So I guess I'm looking to confirm that this isn't normal and the slide should travel smoothly throughout the entire range. Anything else I should try prior to contacting PM?

Is the gib lock screw released, it is a small allen screw at the center of the gib. May want to use something like Engineer's blue or similar to see if there are any high points.

The lock is definitely released. Here's a quick video of the compound slide travel. You can tell it starts to bind up towards the end.

I had this trouble with my old Logan, and I ended up lightly milling the dovetails to ensure they were parallel.
Nailed it.

Try loosening the handle mount slightly. It could be an alignment problem with the screw and nut.

Back