Pm1340gt Lathe Basic Vfd Control Conversion Using The Stock Control Board And Switches

The ground is wired fine, on the connections to the VFD it is difficult to see from the picture. If this is a single phase VFD (WJ200-015SF), then power (240VAC) comes in and connects to the input power L1 and N, the motor connections are U/T1, V/T2 and W/T3. The power transformer power would connect to L1 and N terminals, or the main power system switch. Nothing but the motor should be connected to the motor output terminals of the VFD. I am assuming you have a 3 phase motor, it makes no difference for the contactors/transformers if this was a single phase or 3 phase version.

WJ200 Single Phase Wiring.jpg

VFD Wiring Connections.jpg

I tried to get a clearer picture of my connections to the VFD, I can take more if need be.
IMG_0894.JPG

My VFD is version WJ200 - 022LF
IMG_0893.JPG

and thank you for the explanation and diagram that makes things clearer for me. I hoping that the model of my VFD won't change the details of this install to much. I apologize for not just giving all info upfront but, I've been kinda peicing this together as I went along. I am very greatful that you all are to to help out.

Just went and had a look at the motor specs it is a 3 phase and specs are as follows,

HP - 2 KW - 1.5
Volts - 220 Poles - 4
Hertz - 60 RPM - 1720
Amps - 6.6 Heat - 60 deg. C
Phase - 3 Date - 2016 01
Class - E Ser. - 2805

OK, so this is a 3 phase in VFD, the single phase version is the SF model. On some VFDs, the 3 phase model can be used on single phase, but usually there is a derating of about 0.6 x the nameplate kWA. So a 2.2kW/11A 3 phase would be derated to about 1.4kW/6.6A. So you should be able to use this VFD for the motor you have indicated. Sometimes a choke needs to be installed, but lets not go there for now. Start out by attaching the single phase input to the input terminals L1 and L3, and see if the VFD works. Sometimes you need to put a jumper from L3 to L2, but I would try to do this without the jumper first. Make sure the power is fused or on a breaker sized for single phase input. This works out to a 20 or 30A breaker, or for fusing ~30A fuse in the power lines going to L1 and L3 depending on the type and style. The VFD needs to be programmed for the motor nameplate information, along with the other parameters, out of the box it has different motor parameters.

Attachments

• Hitachi AN032404-1 Rev A Sizing for Single-Phase.pdf
    66 KB · Views: 339
Hi Mark,

I' a little confused or not understanding the terminology but, I only have a 208V 3 phase power coming into the room. When you say attach one phase you mean one of the wires from the 3 phase connection?

I do know that the current wiring did power the VFD. I was able to turn it on and run through the parameters. I initially started by setting the B037 to " 00 " and started setting the parameters for my motor.

The electrician who installed the VFD has Black going to R/L1 Red going S/L2 and White going to T/L3. He left the ground Green wire floating (not connected to anything).

Thank you for bearing with me through this.

You need to ground your motor and the VFD. The motor when running can induce a significant voltage level in the motor casing, which will shock you if you touch it. DAMHIKT..

Then it is fine as wired, I was unaware that you had 3 phase available. There would also be no derating for the VFD. As mentioned, the ground wire should be connected at both the VFD and the motor, it should not be floating. I normally use shielded motor cable, the shield is only grounded at the VFD end, this is separate to the ground wire. The transformer is only connected to between 2 phases, so something like L1 and L2.

I was able to make some progress this morning. I think I'm just about there. I cleaned up all the connection at the VFD, wired up the motor, and have my grounds wired as well.

Pics of latest wiring.

Wiring at VFD
IMG_0902.JPG
3 phase power into VFD Blk@R\L1, Red@S\L2, Wht.@T\L3. Also attached at R\L1 and S\L2 are my power wires going to the terminal control board opposite my transformer leads.
IMG_0903.JPG

Motors wires are matched accordingly
IMG_0901.JPG

Grounds are all wired back to the ground location at VFD. The 2 on the left are from the incoming 3 phase power, and from the motor ground. The one on the right is from the ground on the control board/transformer.
IMG_0899.JPG

I have not wired up any of the logic controls yet.

I am ready to flip the breaker back on but would like trained set of eyes to look and see if my wiring looks correct. I can then turn power back on and get to programming the VFD, and get the logic controls wired up. Thanks again to all that have come to help me out. Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend.

Looks good, should be fine to power it up. You can program and auto tune the VFD to the motor via a computer via a USB cable, otherwise do it manually. When auto tuning, the belt needs to be removed from the motor.

Back