PM1340GT Lift Using a D-RIng and Old Base Cabinet Mods

Mark,

I just received my 1340GT and plan to lift it with a hoist ring like you did. The bottom of the bed is parallel to the top in the center but it slopes down toward the ends. I looks like if the bottom plate is as far toward the headstock as possible on the flat section, that there is just enough room for the bolt to catch the bottom plate through the opening in the bed. Is that correct? How did the lathe balance with the hoist at this location?

Thanks,

Paul

Be careful Paul. If you pick up the 1340GT as you describe (from a D-ring on a plate through in the hole in the bed casting), without also rigging some method to keep it from swinging forward and down at the head (because of the top heavy nature of the lathe headstock), you're in for a dangerous surprise. Been there.

30449398645_52cb5d0a99_o.jpg

Thanks David,

I am planning to rig straps as well. Probably one through the spindle and one from the tailstock end. The hoist ring will take the weight and the straps will be adjusted for balance (I hope!)

The plates are staggered and the bolt goes through the base hole closest to the headstock. I did profile the lower plate with a file so it locks into the base (on either side) and it could be slid a bit closer to the headstock. The upper plate is rounded on the edges, both have a layer of neoprene. It is very stable and reasonable well balanced, but you must have a jack strap through the spindle and another goes through base as shown and both attach near the top of the hoist (to the chain), I would not attach it too the tailstock. The chuck is left off, carriage can be moved for balance and the tailstock is locked at the other end. Lift it slightly up and check the balance and adjust the jack straps, they are only used for leveling but must be taught. I can post some photos if you need more details.

Best to have a second person to assist you. I recommend using a polyurethane sealant around the bolt holes, the silicone did not hold up over time.

There is no need to go to the trouble of trying to hold a plate in place on a curve. My AL 356V weighs 650kg dry and I can lift it wet with a tank full of coolant no problem, dead straight and level as well. See photo above. The eye bolt goes through the plate and is backed up with a washer and Nylock nut. It has about 0.001" clearance on the sides and is 8" long to spread load. It is that length because that it what it needed to be to drop in under chuck where gap piece is. Wood across top is just to hold it in place when not loaded.
If you do the maths you will find that the mass distributed over that length through the mass of cast iron of and around the ways is a nothing.
The plate takes about 30 seconds to put in place.
Sorry I can't post more pictures of it in use as I lost them all when old computer motherboard stuffed up and locked the hard drive and no muggins did not have a backup.

The plates are staggered and the bolt goes through the base hole closest to the headstock. I did profile the lower plate with a file so it locks into the base (on either side) and it could be slid a bit closer to the headstock. The upper plate is rounded on the edges, both have a layer of neoprene. It is very stable and reasonable well balanced, but you must have a jack strap through the spindle and another goes through base as shown and both attach near the top of the hoist (to the chain), I would not attach it too the tailstock. The chuck is left off, carriage can be moved for balance and the tailstock is locked at the other end. Lift it slightly up and check the balance and adjust the jack straps, they are only used for leveling but must be taught. I can post some photos if you need more details.

Best to have a second person to assist you. I recommend using a polyurethane sealant around the bolt holes, the silicone did not hold up over time.

I also added a piece of square tubing to the plate so it "keys" into the casting keeping it from moving front to back. Similar to your file work. Also straps to the headstock and tailstock.

I used RTV sealant to seal the bolt holes. It holds up to grease, oil and most solvents and I had it on hand as I use it on cars and other motorized stuff.

Be careful Paul. If you pick up the 1340GT as you describe (from a D-ring on a plate through in the hole in the bed casting), without also rigging some method to keep it from swinging forward and down at the head (because of the top heavy nature of the lathe headstock), you're in for a dangerous surprise. Been there.

View attachment 240698

That is a scary picture. I know lifting the lathe to mount it on the stand was a nerve racking operation and I ended up doing it at least 4 times before it was finely in place.

Back