PM1340GT vs PM1440BV

mksj was nice enough to help me with my basic VFD conversion on a 1440GT. Other than some power supply issues that had nothing to do with the lathe, the VFD, or the conversion, the change over went smoothly, and works perfectly. The cost of materials in excess of the VFD was less than $150, not counting 50' of 10 gauge, needed to bring power to the lathe.
Mark knows his stuff, and is very helpful.
In looking at your stand design David, why did you choose to support the lathe with that sheet of steel (broken to a channel) that ran the length of the lateh rather than support from either end of the lathe. The way I see appears to me is that sheet will block chips from falling freely thru the ways to the chip tray. Am I misreading something here? Your idea looks so good I was thinking of making my own stand as well after stewing about it for a while!
Alex

I think you have me confused with someone else. I'm Doug, not David. I have a 1440gt, on the factory stand.

I don't recognize the acronym. I just saw that line somewhere, liked it, and paraphrased it a bit. :)

Another from my engineer days is: 'You can't idiot proof anything, because they just keep building better idiots.' Had that one hanging in my office... ;)

I think you have me confused with someone else. I'm Doug, not David. I have a 1440gt, on the factory stand.
You are correct, right answer to the wrong guy, sorry about that!! I had intended the response to go to David Best

I don't recognize the acronym. I just saw that line somewhere, liked it, and paraphrased it a bit. :)

Another from my engineer days is: 'You can't idiot proof anything, because they just keep building better idiots.' Had that one hanging in my office... ;)
Acronym is for Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club, of which I'm a loyal member, I remember the line 'cause it is close to my train of thoughts!

Acronym is for Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club, of which I'm a loyal member, I remember the line 'cause it is close to my train of thoughts!

Interestingly, I went and visited a motorcycle store here in Sierra Vista, AZ a couple of weeks ago (we recently moved here) and found the owner is a lover of vintage Hondas and had quite a display of them upstairs! :) I saw my first motorcycle: A first generation Honda 750 (K1?). He also had a '79 CBX on display. My CBX was a '81 that had the European sport kit on it. Would love to find another (that I could afford).

Which ones do you own?

Interestingly, I went and visited a motorcycle store here in Sierra Vista, AZ a couple of weeks ago (we recently moved here) and found the owner is a lover of vintage Hondas and had quite a display of them upstairs! :) I saw my first motorcycle: A first generation Honda 750 (K1?). He also had a '79 CBX on display. My CBX was a '81 that had the European sport kit on it. Would love to find another (that I could afford).

Which ones do you own?
How much time do you have? I've 18 bikes in various states from Factory fresh (rebuilt - 3 of those) to nice running condition (two of those) to 13 that range from what don't look bad at all to pretty rough.
I tend to like little stuff - I've an S65 Honda that is mint since I rebuilt it about 5 years ago, a YCS1 Yamaha (180cc) that is very nice, a GT500 Suzuki - a 500cc two stroke twin that is very nice as well. Also a nicely rebuilt BMW R100CS that is fitted out with an RT fairing for highway use. I've an unrestored but very nice 180cc Honda Twinstar that I bought for my wife to ride but she's nervous and it just sits and given the way she feels about it that's probably best anyways.
I've two CB77 Honda's tying up my benches and shop in the process of being rebuilt.
As wanna be rebuilts I've an H1 Kawasaki (500cc 2 stroke triple), a 400cc Kawi triple, a couple of Honda step thru's a C100 & C105, a Suzuki M15 all of which are pretty decent and complete but a bit rough, need motor work, paint, some chrome etc. There are others as well the best from my perspective being a Yamaha YR1 of which I have two of these one with a 3 digit serial number so one of the first ever produced. I've attached a pic of one of them.
Alex
DSCN2255.JPG

Hi Alex, I've read you posts regarding choosing between 1440 and 1340GT, I went with the 1340Gt and also a PM935 Mill, both 3 phase, probably for similar reasons you are considering the 1340GT rather than a Chinese machine.

I can't be much help with the decision but I can tell you I flip flopped back and forth for a while until my son reminded me what I always told him, "always buy the best you can afford", an old cliche but never more appropriate with these types of purchases.

I've had my machines for less than 24hrs and will not be using them for a while, but just turning the dials it's awesome, no detectable backlash and smooth as butter, I tried that on a few of the Chinese made lathes and now I definitely know why the Taiwanese machines are preferred.

Looks like you have the bike collecting disease bad, you know there is help out there!

BTW very nice job on the YR1 Yamaha.

David

Hi Alex, I've read you posts regarding choosing between 1440 and 1340GT, I went with the 1340Gt and also a PM935 Mill, both 3 phase, probably for similar reasons you are considering the 1340GT rather than a Chinese machine.

I can't be much help with the decision but I can tell you I flip flopped back and forth for a while until my son reminded me what I always told him, "always buy the best you can afford", an old cliche but never more appropriate with these types of purchases.

I've had my machines for less than 24hrs and will not be using them for a while, but just turning the dials it's awesome, no detectable backlash and smooth as butter, I tried that on a few of the Chinese made lathes and now I definitely know why the Taiwanese machines are preferred.

Looks like you have the bike collecting disease bad, you know there is help out there!

BTW very nice job on the YR1 Yamaha.

David

David: I had followed your decision/thread on the 1340GT and Matt said to me that I can produce really good stuff on either lathe but the GT is MUCH nicer to work with so same train of thought. The bike in the Pic looks like a YR1 bur it's a YCS1 180cc (same year and basically a smaller clone). I have not restored the YR1 yet and have the YDS5, YR1 and YCS1 from that year - only twin I'm missing from '67 is the Twinjet but I'm not all that keen on one anyways!

David: I had followed your decision/thread on the 1340GT and Matt said to me that I can produce really good stuff on either lathe but the GT is MUCH nicer to work with so same train of thought. The bike in the Pic looks like a YR1 bur it's a YCS1 180cc (same year and basically a smaller clone). I have not restored the YR1 yet and have the YDS5, YR1 and YCS1 from that year - only twin I'm missing from '67 is the Twinjet but I'm not all that keen on one anyways!
Alex, my bad on the Yamaha model, I guess the YR1 is a 350cc but being a Suzuki guy I didn't keep up with all the Yamaha models but did race an RD400 in 1977 until I switch over to Suzuki to race in Open Production.

Good luck and I guess we will be on the same steep learning curve together here.

Cheers,

David.

Back