Pm1440gs not running, advise needed

Thanks nava and others for your concern and support, much appreciated. The machine is up and running since 7am thos morning. Yea, there was a moment or 2 there.

Rich

Good deal. Its a shame it started out with an issue. I can imagine its a challenge for Precision Mathews to keep up with all the debugging on these complicated machines that come a long way from the other side of the world. At least they had the part in stock!

Bummer, after about 20 minutes of light cutting on some crs 2" round stock, I heard a little pop. The machine coasted to a stop about 5 minutes or less later.
I was not using the feed direction, not sure what is going on. This switch physically breaks apart. I can not imagine what could cause something like this. Over load from one of the relays. This is only 24volts this part of the circuit. Defective switching? The reverse switch is fine... any guesses?

The transformer should be handling any fluctuations in ac, if there is any. Brand new feed , circuit breakers... what gives?

Rich

Probably does not matter but the wires inside have all stayed put this time.
Wonder if I should just source a better switch? Anyone else having any problems with there machine?

20170805_165153.jpg
This is a picture of the switch in question, any ideas, I am going to run the machine in reverse, maybe that will blow the other one, does not make sense that the one is always blowing up

Last edited:
2 things I am going to try, check the wire harness for this part of the circuit, I am thinking maybe a broken, exposed wire is shorting out this part of the cirsuit. And, I don't need reverse, I might just reverse the 2 switches lol

Rich

Lead time for that part from China is about 3-4 weeks based on an internet search for that part #...

I wonder if you could get a better quality switch from McMaster Carr? Their service is usually pretty awesome...

I looked up roller switches but not really sure what the specs would be (not an electronics wiz)...It looks like a "snap" roller switch to me but I'm really not an expert.

Hi Rich,

Can you describe what is physically happening to the switch when you say it breaks apart? There is usually a cam which pushes on the roller to activate the switch, if the travel of the switch roller arm is exceeded, it can break the switch as there is a very narrow operating range. The cam my be set incorrectly, machined incorrectly (or shaft bent) or the mounting holes for the switch may have been drilled wrong. This particular model LXW5-11G2 of short arm hinged limit switch is very common, so there are other equivalents. I have attached the spec sheet for this model, and some links to the Omron Short Hinge Roller Lever equivalent would appear to be the OMRON Z-15GW22-B (standard model) or Z-15EW22-B (high capacity).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMRON-Z-15GW22-B7-K-Swch-15A-SPDT-Shrt-Hinge-Roller-Lever-/331336922210
http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=0virtualkey0virtualkeyZ-15GW22
http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=0virtualkey0virtualkeyZ-15EW22-B

Attachments

• LXW5-11G2.pdf
    278.7 KB · Views: 150
There is a possibility there is a physical mounting situation. A piece of the plastic casing gets thrown off. I have a couple pics of the pieces. I tried to glue the first one together, but I think something electrical is happening inside you can not hear or feel the micro switch when you engage it. Not sure if there is any possibility for adjustment with the switches to the cam.
I am thinking about running a new 4 wire harness just to see if that helps, i ran the machine in reverse for over 30 minutes, stopping, restarting, footbrake, handle, emergency button. Wanted to check for an overheating situation... don't think so.
If the harness has no effect, I might just get a couple new switches than reverse the position of them, I prefer the forward to be in the up position anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions, it helps, and makes me keep positive about this whole thing.

Rich

Back