PM1440GT Lathe work with a Dorian CXA Quick Change Toolpost ?

UF_Gator

Registered
Registered
My Precision Matthews PM1440GT lathe is arriving via UPS LTL Freight tomorrow 01/25/2018.

I have two basic questions relative to other PM1440GT Lathe owners.

1) Has anyone used the Dorian CXA Quick Change Toolpost , Model # SDN35CXA on the PM1440GT ?
I want to be able to use the larger 3/4" tooling over the 5/8" tooling on the Dorian BXA Quick Change Toolpost.

2) Has anyone used the Hitachi WJ200 VFD on the 3 HP 3phase motor on the PM1440GT ?
If so , is it possible to get the Hitachi WJ200 VFD parameters that were used for the PM1440GT ?

Appreciate any feedback and will post photos soon ...

View attachment 255606

My Precision Matthews PM1440GT lathe is arriving via UPS LTL Freight tomorrow 01/25/2018.

I have two basic questions relative to other PM1440GT Lathe owners.

1) Has anyone used the Dorian CXA Quick Change Toolpost , Model # SDN35CXA on the PM1440GT ?
I want to be able to use the larger 3/4" tooling over the 5/8" tooling on the Dorian BXA Quick Change Toolpost.

2) Has anyone used the Hitachi WJ200 VFD on the 3 HP 3phase motor on the PM1440GT ?
If so , is it possible to get the Hitachi WJ200 VFD parameters that were used for the PM1440GT ?

Appreciate any feedback and will post photos soon ...

Dorian_CXA_Toolpost.jpg

Typically you would use a BXA for a 14" swing, although I have seen CXA used there may be some issues with the adjustment height. BXA oversized holders will take 3/4" tooling, Dorian also has 1" BXA size holders. So for Aloris holders they would be BXA-1S and BXA-2S which will hold 3/4", and for Dorian D30BXA-1 and D30BXA-2 will hold 1". I have two of the latter used on a 1340GT, and need to use shim plates on the bottom with 3/4" tooling, i.e. they are made to take 1" tool holders. You may want to get your lathe first and then measure up the heights and compare them to the Dorian specs in the attached file. Another forum HM member JBOLT uses both BXA and CXA tool posts, but I recall the latter was with a fixed tool post (can't find the posting).

The WJ200 is the most commonly used VFD on PM lathes and mills. The information specific to the WJ200 use with the 1440GT was previously posted. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...he-contactors-to-switch-the-vfd-inputs.64965/

Attachments

• DORIAN SEC-B-TOOL-POST-TOOLHOLDERS-2016.pdf
    10.2 MB · Views: 221
My 1440 came with an Aloris CXA, and IMO it was just too big for the lathe style. Perhaps on a hunk of Old Iron.
I'd go with a BXA. Sold the CXA quite awhile ago to finance a BXA.
Finally scored an Aloris BXA last week. I looks just right. (as Goldilocks would say...) The Dorian AXA on it now is a tad smallish, although it has handled everything I have tossed at it. The BXA just looks like it belongs from a size to aspect ratio perspective in isometric. :big grin:

I been running CXA (Aloris) on my 1440 since 2001 and have never ran out of hight adjustment . In fact, the larger size tools contribute to the overall rigidity of the machine. My 1440 is a Brimingham, so like Mark states, measure your 1440 GT first, but IMO, if you can run a more robust setup without issues, I would seriously consider it. I mostly use insert tooling, as for shimming HSS custom ground cutters of smaller size, I shim with copper bar stock.

VFD parameter questions are better answered by Mark but WJ200 is a good choice.

I have faced, turned,bored,threaded (ID OD),knurled, and parted using a CXA and never ran out of a hight adjustment.
IMG_1666.JPG

Paco

I have a similar size lathe with a BXA and it is fine. I have some holders that will only accept 16 mm,(5/8"),though most will just take 3/4" and a few that will take 20 mm. One day I'll get around to skimming the smaller ones. I have a few 25 mm tools and thought about milling a slot out deep enough to put them into the dovetail, soldering them in place and re-cutting the dovetail. Waiting on Winter for that. Import holders are cheap enough,(cheaper than making if you have to buy steel), that you can afford to play.

I been running CXA (Aloris) on my Brimingham 1440 since 2001 and ....trimmed...
Paco
Off subject -
Paco your Birmingham looks totally different than mine. What year is yours? Is it of Taiwan or ML China origin?
I just created an Informational thread for 1440's -HERE-. Perhaps we could build up a data resource...

Off subject -
Paco your Birmingham looks totally different than mine. What year is yours? Is it of Taiwan or ML China origin?
I just created an Informational thread for 1440's -HERE-. Perhaps we could build up a data resource...

I purchased this lathe new back in Sept 2000. I painted the red stripes over the ugly green ones Modified the back splash to accommodate the taper attachment and she's was born in ML China, I got lucky with this machine, been running smooth ever since. Weighs 2K pounds and MKSJ built an awesome control system to include a very nice motor. I'll let you in on a little secret, My new machine (100%) Taiwan built will arrive next week:p
Stay tuned its a beast! Sorry for the off topic OP, I'm just stoked!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back