PM1440GT up and running

Fc911c

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

First I'd like to thank Mksj and Jbolt for all there help and guiding me through the process.

image.jpeg

I mounted VFD in head stock base with a custom made bracket. I also added variable speed, 2 mode braking and free run for mauual brake.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I was very limited to the sizes of tooling with the Dorian tool holders, 3/4 and 1" with no shimming. To me that kind of defeats the purpose of a QCTP and a hassle. I decided to shim the post instead with a ground 1/2" shim shaped and pinned to the tool post. Now I can use 3/8" to 1" tooling.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Thanks

Looking good! :encourage:

On the QCTP, even tough you have the Ferrari of tool posts, the import holders work just as well for a 1/4 of the price. I spent some time testing all the different brands of holders I could find and while the Dorian had the overall best performance the difference was negligible. The holders from CDCO, while not the prettiest, have the overall best value per dollar. I don't understand Dorian's logic with the extra deep tool holder as their standard tool holder.

(OPINION ALERT!) I think the BXA is best suited for tools up to 5/8". Once you get into 3/4" and 1" tools the CXA is a better choice. Even then I had to go to the solid tool post base to get the full potential out of the 3/4" tools. The CXA is on the limit of what the compound rest can take when taking heavy cuts.

Did you document your VFD conversion? If you did it would be a huge befit to others to know what you had to do on the 3 phase machine. Mine was converted from a single phase motor and the 3 phase machines are wired a little different.

The Dorian BXA size tool holders will take >3/4" shank tools, but do so by lowering the bottom ledge that registers the tool in the holder. To run 5/8" or 1/2" shank tools in the Dorian holders, you have to put a spacer under the tool. The Aloris BXA tool holders will take 1/2" and 5/8" shanks (maximum). In contrast, the BXA holders Matt at QMT sells, as well as the BXA size tool holders from All Industrial Tool supply ($15 each) or CDCO ($12) will also take a 3/4" shank tool, but accommodates them with different geometry that doesn't require a spacer under 1/2" and 5/8" shank tools. Here is a visual comparison of the three:

bxa-tool-holder-comparison-jpg.140499

Like jbolt, I don't seen enough difference in the brand name (Aloris or Dorian) versions to warrant the additional cost for the conventional square shank tool holder.

Putting a riser-block under the Dorian tool post is increasing the chance for the tool holder to pivot under load IMO - especially with a 3/4" tool, or heavy knurling and parting-off.

Sorry for the late reply. I don't know what there thinking was either Jbolt 3/4 and 1" seem big for a Bxa.

I didn't document the install I will post what pictures I have.

Made bracket to mount VFD, remove one bolt and VFD pivots out for easy access to wiring.
Photo Apr 28, 3 04 12 PM.jpg

New Brake switch for free run.
Photo Apr 28, 3 16 46 PM.jpg
Photo Apr 28, 3 04 20 PM.jpg

Braking resistor
Photo Apr 28, 3 06 55 PM.jpg

Removed one relay and all high voltage black wires going to forward and reverse contactors
Added 110 outlet for tachometer and DRO.
Photo Apr 28, 3 17 25 PM.jpg

Main power switch

Photo Apr 28, 3 16 53 PM.jpg

Back