PM1440TL VS PM1440GT

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
I have a limited budget but I need a bigger lathe than the PM1030V I'm running now. I don't have money sitting around. I'll have to finance it. I'm okay with that. I'm passing on projects because of my wimpy lathe.

I see in the specs that the PM1440TL weighs a hell of a lot more than the PM1440GT, and the TL has a gear box that can run all the different threads without change gears. The GT has change gears for 13 tpi and Metric.

I know more weigh is always supposed to be better, but I am trying to figure out what all I'm giving up other than a bit if time on threading metric and a lot of machine weight i may never even notice.

The spindle bore of the TL is 2.55" vs the GT at 2"

I have no issue working within the limits of my machines. I could do a hell of a lot with a geared head lathe with a little more hp than my 1030v.

What am I missing?

First, I don't have a PM, I am a SB 9 owner to put this into context.

I could not imagine not having a gearbox. I use my gear box to change feed, or threading so often. Sitting there changing gears would make me enjoy things a lot less.

The larger spindle bore is something I crave. You can never have enough spindle bore.

I think the TL being heavier is not only the gearbox. I think you are getting a superior machine. Having change gears is a hobbyist thing, having a gear box puts you in a serious user category, hence a better built machine. Hence the bigger bore, the gear box etc.

First, I don't have a PM, I am a SB 9 owner to put this into context.

I could not imagine not having a gearbox. I use my gear box to change feed, or threading so often. Sitting there changing gears would make me enjoy things a lot less.

The larger spindle bore is something I crave. You can never have enough spindle bore.

I think the TL being heavier is not only the gearbox. I think you are getting a superior machine. Having change gears is a hobbyist thing, having a gear box puts you in a serious user category, hence a better built machine. Hence the bigger bore, the gear box etc.

The change gears are for metric and 13tpi. The rest is in the gearbox. The feed rates are in the gear box.

You aren't selling me on the extra $5k with extra weight. I'm trying to get a real feel for the difference running day to day. I don't thread metric often but I do occasionally.

Looks like the GT is made in Taiwan, other models made in China. Also looks like the GT is spec'd to better precision, tighter fits, better bearings, etc, as well as a removable gap.

I didn't see where it mentions a gearbox on the GT for threading or feeds?

the tl is made in Taiwan also according to the PM site
Didn't see that. I was comparing the GT to others in the 12-14" category, a little confusing to put another 14" in a different category.

Didn't see that. I was comparing the GT to others in the 12-14" category, a little confusing to put another 14" in a different category.
I agree, I don't like the website layout, or how the specs are laid out.

I agree, I don't like the website layout, or how the specs are laid out.

The TL is a different lathe in the same size class. Definitely nicer. I am going to have a hell of a time financing the $13k for the GT and accessories. The TL is like taking on a car payment.

Back