PM1440TL VS PM1440GT

Scroll down to description.
I did.. I didn't see it mention a gearbox.

it's not clear from this:
  • Inch AND Metric thread cutting ability is a standard feature
    True INCH PITCH main lead screw, cross feed, and
    compound lead screws make it easy to use for the INCH
    measurement System, yet still has the Metric readings on
    dials for the ultimate in versatility for any job that may come
    about

I did.. I didn't see it mention a gearbox.

it's not clear from this:
  • Inch AND Metric thread cutting ability is a standard feature
    True INCH PITCH main lead screw, cross feed, and
    compound lead screws make it easy to use for the INCH
    measurement System, yet still has the Metric readings on
    dials for the ultimate in versatility for any job that may come
    about
Turns out I read it in the instructions. Much easier than my current lathe.

Screenshot_20211015-194322_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20211015-194721_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Question would be what do you need. A 1340GT is a lot of lathe and well made, lighter but accurate. If you need a larger bore, then 1440GT or TL. There is also the Acra 1440C which is similar to the 1440TL but 2600 lbs and D1-4 chuck mount. Cost is similar to 1440GT, same universal gearbox as TL. There is a recent thread on the 1440C. Cost of machine is one part, chucks and tooling is quite expensive and goes up with bigger lathes.

Question would be what do you need. A 1340GT is a lot of lathe and well made, lighter but accurate. If you need a larger bore, then 1440GT or TL. There is also the Acra 1440C which is similar to the 1440TL but 2600 lbs and D1-4 chuck mount. Cost is similar to 1440GT, same universal gearbox as TL. There is a recent thread on the 1440C. Cost of machine is one part, chucks and tooling is quite expensive and goes up with bigger lathes.
I really want a minimum of a 2" bore. Other than that and the 6" 3 jaw instead of the 8" 3 jaw on the GT, the Acra looks really excellent.

I can get the GT with all the accessories I want and delivered for $13k.

I have have the PM1440GT, but have not been using it long enough to form a strong opinion. It seems like a very nice lathe. I did not even consider the larger TL lathe as it too big to get into/ fit into basement room and was considerably more $. I am pretty sure that both of them are made in Taiwan so should be high quality. It is not mentioned on the front page of the web side, but I think it is in the description.

Most importantly, if you have any questions about the two machines just contact Matt, the owner, of PM. (or I will try to provide info about the GT but I am only a hobby machinist so..... ) He is very helpful and always responds. However, he does travel at times and so a response may take a day or longer. Also, he has "support" folks who are pretty knowledgeable. Just give them a call. Also, if I read your location correctly, you are not that far away. probably less than a two hour drive from PM. PM is located out by the Pgh airport so you do not have to come all the way to the city. If they have them in stock you could just visit them and see the machines. I live in Pittsburgh so they are close for me and I have been to the PM site a few times. They are well set up, a nice facility, and have lots of inventory of parts and machines and Matt has been in this business for several years, ~15-20, so clearly is an ongoing concern. I am pretty sure that he was a machinist before starting this business. There have been folks on this site who drive there from farther distances than you have to pick up their machines.

The GT has a gear box for threading English treads. You can read the threads that can be cut with the standard gears on the front tables of the lathe. However, there are a lot of other thread ratios that can be gotten at with the gear box. I just have not had time to fully explore this. It requires gear changes to go to metric and 13 tpi as you mentioned and comes with a number of metric conversion gears. Changing the gearing is pretty much standard process. I also have an old South Bend 10 heavy which I have used for a few years. That old machine has a wonderful gear box that only requires two levers! The SB10 also requires gear changes to get to metric but I never got around to finding a set. But you should call and find out about delivery time as the supply chain problems may have depleted his inventory of either model.

You did not post a picture of the front of the 1440GT. I do not think there is a good picture on the site or in the manual of the front of the head stock so that you can see the tables and the levers. However I have posted on where I describe my recent 3ph VFD conversion posting.

In this posting there are two descriptive documents, Part 1 and Part 2, attachments. Part 1 is about the PM1440GT and its electronics as it arrives (Almost, I put it on casters on it at PM before it left PM to come to my location). Anyway, inside the attachment "PM 1440GT Part 1 FacOriglElecDescript DNL L910_1440.pdf" you will find Photo 3 which show the cover listing of threading and feed rate tables as well as the two gear shift levers P, Q, R, ... and W, X, Y, .. and knobs A-B and C-D. I think the two knobs are just factors of 2x each, i.e. 1x, 2x, 4, and 8x. These two knobs, as well as the upper left-right knob can be rotated to the vertical (up or down) position, but I think this disengages the drive. The two levers set the basic threads. The photo was posted as a high resolution image so you should be able to expand it to see the print very clearly. (If HM lowers the resolution just let me know and I will post an original or send you one such). (In the photo I had not removed the plastic protective cover yet and it is a bit wavy.) You will note on the TPI table printed at the top of the gear and belt cover that only a few possible combinations are actually listed. The table at the bottom is for metric. There are to many combination to fit in the small space and the table includeds the 2x, 4x, 8x, lines so most are not even listed. The combinations not listed do seem to work, but I have not tried them all. I have not tried to do it yet, but I think one can figure out the gear ratios and then make a complete table of possible TPI without actually doing any measurements. (We will see.) The two feed rate tables for the cross slide are redundant between the English and metric.

Part 2 of my posting, "PM 1440GT Part 2 VFDDescript links wTable1 DNL LA10_1830.pdf", contains my design for the VFD conversion. Somewhat different from what others have done as I got rid of the big relays and transformers that come with the machine, used a few transistors instead and then I could fit everything in the original lathe stand.... no external boxes. The loose photos on the posting go with Part 2. You have to look in Part 1 to see the original machine photos as there are only 3 of these.

I assume you will being using 3phase power as you are considering the TL (only 3 phase motor available), but if not you can get the GT in single phase as well. I purchased the 3phase version knowing I was going to convert it. This has several advantages, especially the drive frequency variation. I sometimes wind electrical coils and it is nice to be able to set the frequency to a very low value and then gear the spindle down so that the spindle is turning very slowly. I also put a 10 pulse per revolution Hall sensor so I can get nice RPM readings, but more importantly I am now installing an electronic counter so that I can determine not only rotations, but fractions of a rotation in my windings. If you have not used a proximity stop for threading it is pretty handy. Others have posted about this, but it comes easily, and is accurate, with the VFD conversion.

Also, if you have not heard about it, there is a set up one can built called an "Electronic Lead Screw" that can generate any tpi you want with no gears or gear box. It uses a encoder at the spindle to determine the rotation and phase and then uses a stepper motor at the lead screw to determine the rotations of the lead screw via electronics. It appears to be a considerable built, but do able. Others on HM have repeated this work. See Clough42 on Youtube. There are several videos of his efforts. He even sells some of the parts needed.
But if you are making your living machining you may not have time for this effort! Maybe I will do it someday!

Hopes this helps. These are not easy decisions!

Dave

Sorry, meant to mention that the lever positions on the PM1440GTgear box are upper: P,Q,I,R,T (5) and lower: W,X,Y,X (4). So there are a combination of 4*5 gear ratios=20. Then this is multiplied by the 4 possible factors of 2x. 1x,2x,4x,8x so that makes 80. I have not figured out yet if they are very useful! TBD. Plus there are the change gears that are supplied. I did not see a photo nor a list of the change gears that come with the GT, but I have attached a photo: stamped = 69, 65, 49, 42, 36, 25, 24T

Dave

Attachments

• PM1440GT Change Gears LA16_0155.jpg
    PM1440GT Change Gears LA16_0155.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 121
Sorry, meant to mention that the lever positions on the PM1440GTgear box are upper: P,Q,I,R,T (5) and lower: W,X,Y,X (4). So there are a combination of 4*5 gear ratios=20. Then this is multiplied by the 4 possible factors of 2x. 1x,2x,4x,8x so that makes 80. I have not figured out yet if they are very useful! TBD. Plus there are the change gears that are supplied. I did not see a photo nor a list of the change gears that come with the GT, but I have attached a photo: stamped = 69, 65, 49, 42, 36, 25, 24T

Dave

How wide is the bed on the GT? I'm having trouble finding that info.

Here is a photo with a rule of the lathe bed. By the way, my old SB has 10 threads by 7 multiples of 2. Total is 700 different threads!

Attachments

• PM1440GT Bedwidth 20211016_104216.jpg
    PM1440GT Bedwidth 20211016_104216.jpg
    981.4 KB · Views: 141
I can’t speak to the GT but I have the 1440TL and love it. It is a Taiwanese lathe and the accuracy has been great for me so far. I have been running it for a year now and you can see several of my projects and posts on this forum. Not having change gears does make the headstock longer if that is a factor. That is why the TL is longer overall than the GT. The TL also has a quick change gear box on the carriage to change feed direction even under power. I don’t believe the GT has that? The quick change is a huge time saver because typically the direction you feed for facing is opposite the direction you feed for turning. Much faster than changing the direction at the headstock every time. I think they are both very nice lathes just depends what you need. Good luck.

Back