pm25-mv z axis power feed

the 5" vice works without the swivel base without taking up too much of the vertical work space. I mount mine lengthwise with its crank on the right side. rather than hang it off the front. I have to shift the way that I feed the work piece 90 degrees but the machine doesn't seem to have any problems with it.

The 4" would be a better fit for the machine/table size but as I said in the other thread, I needed the 5" jaw opening for some of what I have plans for. I bought the PM 5" precision ground.... Think it was like $119. At some point I will likely be ordering the 4" with the hopes of having the swivel base option.

There are so many different threads, discussions, and videos out there for learning about the things we are interested in. I've only been doing machine work for the last 5-6 years with a background in electronics. I've always been a builder and an experimenter so this fits me to a tee. BTW did you get the PM conversation I sent you a couple of days ago?

Didn't get that PM message until today-- Have been busy moving and unpacking.
Here's a coupon you might want to use? Expires 10/15/2018

From the email, you can probably tell what it will be used for....
I will not be using the EY gears, so grab that one on fleabay.

Attachments

• HF Coupon. - Expires 1015:2018.pdf
    263.7 KB · Views: 113
You're right about using longer screws and attaching my box to the outside of the original plate. I didn't want to modify the original column any more than necessary so I ended up with only the 4 screws that hold the switch box. I actually never did even open up the column to look to see what was in side. If memory serves me and without going out to the shop I think the screws are M-6 and about 1/4" longer than the originals. The original plate does hold the shaft in position for proper mesh.

I wonder if the wiper motor mounting bosses are laid out the same as my motor? I previously posted a manufacturer's drawing that gives the dimensions for this one. I wonder if the various wiper motors have somewhat of a standardized bolt pattern?? That would certainly make it easier in the future to try different motors or replace a bad one.

The pictures of the top mounted motor look to me as being over-built. Depending what you have laying around the shop to work with, these motors don't produce a huge amount of torque so mounting doesn't have to be super sturdy.... rigid yes...... but bullet proof Mach Truck design is over kill. My box was also a way for me to try out the machine and test my basic knowledge of milling operations.
--------------

?????? - couple of ??? when you feel better....

1. Did you remove the original plate from the column to get the bolt pattern and dimensions for the additional crank plate? Seems to be a beveled gear on inner end of the z crank shaft, and roll pins holding the plate in place besides the 4 x M-6 screw/bolts. I've not pulled the plate off yet but wondering if any alignment issues might be altered when plate is removed to make your template of cover plate for the motor mount.
a- From other online pictures, the plate unbolts ( d, e, f ), but holds the z crank shaft with gears that rotate the main z elevation rod.
b- Z crank handle is in awkward position with DRO monitor installed (a), so this will have to be first project followed by lateral motor drive.

2. I picked up couple of the cheaper wiper motors to see if they might work ( see link below ). Shaft on these appears different -- (threaded end with splined burr rather than D shaft of Markermotor) . Will make template of mounting bolt/boss pattern and compare to Markermotor drawing

3. Plastic flywheel gears (b) look to be 1.5" OD with larger bore, so have to make shafts for motor and the crank. These are gears are 1/2" wide, so may epoxy 2 or 3 together to get wider gear contact surface and better adhesion to the arbor
a.JPG
b.JPG
c.JPG
d.jpg
e.jpg
f.jpg
, but are inexpensive so can experiment. (They are also a widely available item for number of lawn mower motors.)

4. Assembled couple different power/switching supplies (c), based on examples from several utube videos and your thread. (slow boat from China- but pre-trade war pricing).

-------
wiper motor:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Auto...m=281349810209&_trksid=p2046732.c100040.m2060

You're right about using longer screws and attaching my box to the outside of the original plate. I didn't want to modify the original column any more than necessary so I ended up with only the 4 screws that hold the switch box. I actually never did even open up the column to look to see what was in side. If memory serves me and without going out to the shop I think the screws are M-6 and about 1/4" longer than the originals. The original plate does hold the shaft in position for proper mesh.

I wonder if the wiper motor mounting bosses are laid out the same as my motor? I previously posted a manufacturer's drawing that gives the dimensions for this one. I wonder if the various wiper motors have somewhat of a standardized bolt pattern?? That would certainly make it easier in the future to try different motors or replace a bad one.

The pictures of the top mounted motor look to me as being over-built. Depending what you have laying around the shop to work with, these motors don't produce a huge amount of torque so mounting doesn't have to be super sturdy.... rigid yes...... but bullet proof Mach Truck design is over kill. My box was also a way for me to try out the machine and test my basic knowledge of milling operations.

OK- here goes the first trial run with your design, using angle iron housing and more readily available parts:

Made the gears by epoxying 2 Briggs starter gears together, and attaching them to arbor/bushing shafts with knurling and epoxy.
Motor is $20 VW knock off, with threaded/splined output shaft. Had to bore/tap and pin the motor arbor shaft to the motor, then attach gear via a bushing that was then pinned to the motor arbor.
Power supply is 30 amp 12vDC off of ebay, as is switch
Paint is Safety Blue Rustoleum from HD- need to prime and repaint after trial runs completed.

Works OK- Speed is fine and bought 2 motors- one extra for the lateral table drive via socket clutch .

Attachments

• Z drive components listing.pdf
    57.6 KB · Views: 119

============

Finished working unit-- with momentary DPDT rocker switch...

Note: motor output shaft is 10mm round, with 8x1.25mm threads after a conical spline contact area. Motor arbor shaft needed to be bored, tapped and then re-bored to match the 10mm round and conical spline. Small pin was drilled and inserted into the motor arbor/motor shaft to prevent arbor from detaching while in reverse drive

Components and sources are listed below.

Components & Source:

Housing 3”x5”x ¼” angle iron.

Gears Briggs & Straton Flywheel starter gears $1.25 each (2 epoxied together per gear)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Briggs-...n+starter+gear&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

Motor VW Wiper motor- $20.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Auto...810209?hash=item4181c16821:g:EKQAAOxyIv5TkH5q

Arbors Supply stock, kurled and epoxied gear ID

Power Supply 12 v- 30 Amp - $20.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-110V-22...wer+Supply&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

Switch DPDT online - $10.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-DPDT-2...m=322862588031&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

Paint Home Depo- Safety Blue Rustoleum

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ol...otective-Enamel-Spray-Paint-7524838/100142866

a.JPG

b.JPG

c.JPG

e.jpg

Attachments

• d.pdf
    57.6 KB · Views: 118
Nice job! It looks great!

Very interested in seeing the outcome of your x-axis drive.

Nice job redneck~!! As I have always said there are a thousand different ways to accomplish a mod like this.... all depends on what you have on hand to work with and how creative you can get!!

Next project is for the lateral table drive with clutch disconnect and reversible. Got several ideas to work with.

Back