pm25-mv z axis power feed

Sorry if I missed the reason for the gears, but had you considered a direct drive like tin barn's?

Nylon gears appear to smooth out the torque, but they seem to be a 1:1 ratio, so wonder if this DC motor could power the drive by itself?

Were the gears an Amazon investment?

Sorry if I missed the reason for the gears, but had you considered a direct drive like tin barn's?

Nylon gears appear to smooth out the torque, but they seem to be a 1:1 ratio, so wonder if this DC motor could power the drive by itself?

Were the gears an Amazon investment?

When I started looking at options for building my drive, looking around at the different motors was a best guess scenario as to what it would take to lift the head in regards to torque and speed. I had read that some had used a motor with output speed of around 85 RPM and they thought that it was too slow and wished that they had chosen differently.

I went with the 100 RPM motor and decided on the 1:1 ratio gearing initially just to get a starting point. My reasoning to go with gears was that if I decided to change the speed, I could change gears with less expense than the motor and potentially the entire mounting layout. Now that I have my setup operational, I can see that an increase in speed would be desirable.... at least for me. The gears were an Ebay find and the two Eaton Yale Nylon Pinion Gears cost less than $10

As far as whether or not the motor could drive direct..... I think that it could and then some. The operating voltage (output) for the power supply seems to be lower than it's rated voltage and I consider it to be the weak link in the setup. This type of power supply are a dime a dozen all over the internet, but the cheap prices equate to less voltage and current regulation under load.

Right now I will use the current setup and be satisfied with it's performance as I get used to the rest of the machine. At some point a different gear ratio and power supply changes will probably move to the top of my To-Do list. As with most projects like this, there will always be a 100 different ways of doing the same thing. This is my starting point and I hope that other members will come away with enough basic information that they will be able to see different options to build on and improve.

I really do appreciate yours and other contributors suggestions and knowledge. Having a common interest and open forum for sharing ideas and asking questions are what makes this site what it is.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/YALE-EATON...451485?hash=item35e4b6cb1d:g:kGwAAOSw-W5U0O~9

You cleaned them out? or else Trump tariffs starting to kick in???

Yeah he only had the two. Really any source for nylon pinion gears will work. The crank shaft is roughly a keyed 5/8" diameter shaft and the motor shaft is a "D" shaft that is 3/8" in diameter. I cut an internal keyway on the 5/8" gear and made an insert to reduce the other gear to fit the smaller shaft. The insert was turned from aluminum stock just oversized for the OD and knurled on the lathe. I added some motorcycle handlegrip glue and pressed it in.

If you look at the video or the gear picture you'll see a slight misalignment of the two gears. This is because the mill side of the mod needs a thin spacer to correctly position the gear on the shaft and restrict the endplay. I've got it clamped down with the two set screws for now and it does the job, but a space is coming in the near future.

Jim

Tinbarn utube videos suggest that wiper motor has enough torque for a direct drive setup, but his Flintstone mounting system had gear reduction. PM25mv crank shaft (5/8") sticks out quite far, so your gear setup is space saving in the lateral dimension, in that the crank shaft and motor shaft overlap each other.

The ebay listing had a photo showing the EY part number as 641 2881 00 .

I've not been able to source a supplier of this gear as of yet, and wonder if anyone else reading this thread has suggestion for finding this part? You might also be interested in replacement parts if you strip a gear in the future by hitting the top detent, or crashing down into the table? ( S___ happens ?)

EY Part # 641-2881-00.jpg

Tinbarn utube videos suggest that wiper motor has enough torque for a direct drive setup, but his Flintstone mounting system had gear reduction. PM25mv crank shaft (5/8") sticks out quite far, so your gear setup is space saving in the lateral dimension, in that the crank shaft and motor shaft overlap each other.

The ebay listing had a photo showing the EY part number as 641 2881 00 .

I've not been able to source a supplier of this gear as of yet, and wonder if anyone else reading this thread has suggestion for finding this part? You might also be interested in replacement parts if you strip a gear in the future by hitting the top detent, or crashing down into the table? ( S___ happens ?)

Not much to choose from right now on Ebay or Amazon.

I did a quick Google for "Nylon Pinion Gears" and came up with several sources... most are industrial with minimum orders, but even those will many times send out samples if asked.

This is one supplier that has a pretty extensive page of options:

https://shop.sdp-si.com/catalog?cid=p207&filter=a6:2:18.0&sort=undefined&view=table

The type of gear that you use does not have to specifically be the EY gears that I used. You should be able to get the specs for the EY gear to give you a starting point for a search. Depending on what you are able to source, adjustments can be made to the support assembly to adjust spacing that will get you to where you need to be. I actually bought the motor, then the gears.... then started figuring out what I needed to make them work together.

Your right about the mill shaft being rather long. Looking back, that was another thing I considered with my layout. I've looked at belt drives, gear drives, and combinations of both.... even adding a means of switching between the motor drive and the original hand crank. I remember the old "KISS" principle!!

As I said above the one other change I plan to do with my mod is to wire the 110volt supply voltage to the 12v power supply to the mill's emergency stop. Right now I have everything being fed from a power strip where I can kill power.

Last edited:
You know we are all machinist types with mills (at least some do) who maybe could/should make our own gears?
Just saying.........:grin:

Steve

You know we are all machinist types with mills (at least some do) who maybe could/should make our own gears?
Just saying.........:grin:

Steve

simple as:

and:

But:

The EY nylon hoist gears are different kettle of clams, these are wear resistant and can take more long term stress?

Back