pm25-mv z axis power feed

You know we are all machinist types with mills (at least some do) who maybe could/should make our own gears?
Just saying.........:grin:

Steve

You are so right Steve!!

If I were a few years younger and in better health I would be right in there trying to do it. I am late in life to start doing metal work and my health has become a very limiting factor. This project was intended to get started working with my new mill without having the physical exertion that lifting the head was requiring on my poor old broken down body.

3 or 4 years ago I started making some specialty tools that are specific to working on the old Harley Ironheads. I now have 11 tools that I can make and hope to add a few more with the addition of the PM25. I am laying out my designs with TurboCad 3D and refining the designs with actually making a few of each on my 70 year old Craftsman lathe and now the new mill. My hope is that I will have enough in place that one day my son or one of my Grandkids will be able to take my work and build it into a business after I am gone.

There are so many possibilities that these machines can bring to reality, and I wish that my remaining time would allow me to learn more, but for now I am concentrating on just what I need in the here and now. I am so appreciative for friends like you and others here on this forum that continue to share ideas and a creative passion that so many in today's society are missing. I have always been a DIY guy and I remember many years ago interviewing for a job as a R&D Tech. I did my own resume and listed a lot of different things that I could do at the time..... Long story short, the President of the company asked me right up front "if there was anything that I couldn't do?" My answer..... No!!

So here's the deal.... for anyone that is considering doing a similar project to mine or any of the other great ideas on this forum. Never stop looking passed the horizon for what you think you can do..... and don't accept defeat until you've tried something at least 5 times. The personal satisfaction of trying something new and succeeding can not be measured by man. So to what Steve said above.... "Many of us could/should make our own gears". I say WHY NOT what have you got to loose??

Yeah he only had the two. Really any source for nylon pinion gears will work. The crank shaft is roughly a keyed 5/8" diameter shaft and the motor shaft is a "D" shaft that is 3/8" in diameter. I cut an internal keyway on the 5/8" gear and made an insert to reduce the other gear to fit the smaller shaft. The insert was turned from aluminum stock just oversized for the OD and knurled on the lathe. I added some motorcycle handlegrip glue and pressed it in.

If you look at the video or the gear picture you'll see a slight misalignment of the two gears. This is because the mill side of the mod needs a thin spacer to correctly position the gear on the shaft and restrict the endplay. I've got it clamped down with the two set screws for now and it does the job, but a space is coming in the near future.

Jim

FYI:

Attempting to locate part #641-288-00 EatonYale Industrial Trucks--

EatonYale division sold to NACCO (North American Coal Co- 217-443-7785) .
Regional Parts Sales- Miami, FL . - Briggs (305-624-1511)

Think you may have lucked out originally as this is a heavy duty hoist gear, probably high strength/wear fiber-reinforced nylon?

Might pay to try and locate some, and not reinvent the wheel or machine one made out of material that would not last? Or metal that might not run smoothly- or at least as smooth as nylon baby's butt?

Keith is fun to watch, but this probably can not be done on a PM 25mv that you recently purchased?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Judging from the intermittent duty that these gears are used..... at least what I am experiencing right now the gears even of lesser quality would probably last a considerable length of time. The most I currently move the head is a couple of inches up or down to change collets and/or cutters. Most of the time I am able to move the table to do what I need.

I'm curious as to whether NACCO could give you any cross reference information.?

I did some searching for different gear suppliers and found this:

http://www.rushgears.com/tech-tools/part-search/gears/type/replacement_parts

They have phenolic spur gears that are close to what you are looking for. Again they may be able to provide samples or source individual quantities distributors. I have a feeling that unless you can get samples that the gears may be pretty expensive. Won't know until you ask.

I spoke with Rick Katz at this parts supplier recommended by NCCO
----------Regional Parts Sales- Miami, FL . - Briggs Equipment- (305-624-1511)

He is looking back into records to cross reference old EatonYale parts and records. With time and effort you put into the motor drive, you may also be interested in this info, rather than having to remake the metal gear frame if this specific gear is not available?

Not an urgent matter, as can check other gear suppliers, but a couple of phone calls will not break the bank, and a lot quicker than having to reinvent the wheel- or cut new gears?

Nylon may come in many compositions, some with fiber reinforcements so checking on intended use is important.

Will check on this link as you suggested:

I hadn't really looked into molding my own gears. Interesting videos out there!!

Might have to look a little further into different materials for molding a gear that would be a close second to the nylon in the gears I have.... and maybe make up some silicon molds ahead of time. The only problem is that there's not enough hours in the day to play with all the different projects!!

Judging from the intermittent duty that these gears are used..... at least what I am experiencing right now the gears even of lesser quality would probably last a considerable length of time. The most I currently move the head is a couple of inches up or down to change collets and/or cutters. Most of the time I am able to move the table to do what I need.

I'm curious as to whether NACCO could give you any cross reference information.?

I did some searching for different gear suppliers and found this:

They have phenolic spur gears that are close to what you are looking for. Again they may be able to provide samples or source individual quantities distributors. I have a feeling that unless you can get samples that the gears may be pretty expensive. Won't know until you ask.

Well I did ask,, and.... OMG...... $2395.00 . You want to order 2 more as replacements to help out?
Not sure I can formulate the proper fiber/resin mix after making the molds.

I have a feeling that the forklifts/hoists that EatonYale made are still being produced now as knockoffs, and that someone is making the replacement parts- Have not heard back from Briggs yet- but in no hurry. Will keep eye out for similar pinion gears and post any findings in the future.

Attachments

• RUSH Gears-.pdf
    309.6 KB · Views: 154
I hadn't really looked into molding my own gears. Interesting videos out there!!

Might have to look a little further into different materials for molding a gear that would be a close second to the nylon in the gears I have.... and maybe make up some silicon molds ahead of time. The only problem is that there's not enough hours in the day to play with all the different projects!!
--

More teeth, but more reasonable:
https://www.ebay.com/p/Team-Associated-9360-Idler-Gear-B2-Ascc6360/1500309457?iid=291315094050

Several sellers on ebay, not sure of what idler gear is used for- need to check.
looks to have an internal bore of 3/8" for a shaft, but appears to have a rim so could be bored out and epoxied to larger shaft. Nylon so, just have to keep looking....

Find someone with a 3D printer and have them print one with the bore size and tooth count you need.
I think Mr Pete did some for his Atlas Lathe and has a YouTube video on it.

--

More teeth, but more reasonable:
https://www.ebay.com/p/Team-Associated-9360-Idler-Gear-B2-Ascc6360/1500309457?iid=291315094050

Several sellers on ebay, not sure of what idler gear is used for- need to check.
looks to have an internal bore of 3/8" for a shaft, but appears to have a rim so could be bored out and epoxied to larger shaft. Nylon so, just have to keep looking....

I think these are smaller gears for R/C race cars. Pictures are misleading as to actual size on ebay, so be careful and ask seller for more information.

Back