Pm25 power z axis

OldJoe

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone I wonder if anybody is interested in designing or refabricating a nice power Z axis for my p.m. 25 I just don't have the time to do it and cranking this thing is really getting old if anybody is interested please let me know. 203-2885832

Thanks!

Are you moving the head, for repositioning, or the tool , for cutting?

I powered the head, wouldn't want to use it for cutting, the gib is loose.

I've seen a motor, built onto the side of the head driving the quill. Isthis what you want? I built a small handle attached to the face of the quill knob, works fine for boring. I crank it, rather that twisting the knob.

Hi thanks for your reply. I'm simply wanting to reposition the column crank handle for height adjustment so I can change tools, or change proximity from ... for example, drill head to end mill. Never for use as feeding a tool.

I modified the crank handle so I would gain some leverage, and once in a while I use a drill with a socket on it. I have terrible rotator cuff and arthritis in both my shoulders (don't get old ) Anyway, I saw a few nicely done motor attachments shown here, and wow... pushing a button or a switch would be wonderful!

20190124_121227.jpg

Obtain a heavy duty (van or truck) windshield wiper motor* and a 12 volt power supply (old computer, battery charger, etc) fabricate a connection between the motor and the lift crank shaft, and a mount for the motor, wire a switch through a center off Double pole double through toggle switch, and go to town.

My motor had two speeds, I wired in a switch to toggle between high and low speed, never use low.

Don't forget to loosen gib clamps. And tighten them again.

* for all I know, an electric window motor would work as well, I have one driving my X feed.

Yes, thank you for your replies. I'm aware of these options, but honestly, as I asked... I'm looking for someone with not too much on his or her plate, who has done this successfully and has the time to duplicate and sell the product to me done, as I just don't have the time to get this done before my arm falls off from the existing small jobs I have going. Or, point me in the direction of something done that would work. I know nothing about CNC, but are there stepper motors available that bolt up to either the crank or on top to adjust the Z axis height?

Just to help you look for a thing likelier to exist: Stepper motors are relatively low on torque; it's kind of a tradeoff. My PM-30MV takes about 20 in/lbs, which would be 177 Nm or 320 oz-in, to raise the head. Your PM-25 might take a little less, but that's probably the right ball park. That would require a large stepper (on the large side for NEMA23), expensive stepper controller (like a gecko), and probably a 36V or 48V power supply, as well as a stepper motor controller—or use a gearhead stepper which will crawl so slow that you will throw it away. DC brushed motors will be cheaper and require a lot less supporting circuitry.

Stepper motor is a minor point I think. Just pointing your searching in other directions.

When it comes to price, I noticed that grizzly sells a power lift for the G0709 for $329. It bolts onto the top and appears to drive the Z lead screw directly. It probably has a gear head. I have no expectation it would work on your mill, but it gives an idea what an inexpensive (relatively speaking) mass-produced option costs. Of course something bespoke is likely to cost more. :)

Thx. When I search the g0709 comes back as 14x40 lathe. Do you happen to have a link to this motor lift?

Back