PM25MV first chips...

StanR

Registered
Registered
Aha.

Finally got to the place where I can make chips.
It suddenly ( well, almost ) came upon me that I would never be in the mood to hack off steel or aluminum stock for machining projects. I will be buying a Harbor Freight horizontal bandsaw for this purpose. Don't want to machine torch-cut parts, and abrasive disc cutoff saws expect my lungs are good air filters. I don't think so!

In preparation for the bandsaw, I decided I would steal the table top from an old Skilsaw. Although the size is too large for mounting to the bandsaw, that isn't stopping me from preparing the underside for mounting to a piece of 1/2" steel, which will be peranently attached to the diecast aluminum table. I really don't want unexpected movement from the table in any direction!

The table on the mill makes setup difficult. Not having a clamping set yet doesn't help, either, But I do have 4 t-slot bolts, and I can always find something to clamp this with. I am just going for a reasonably flat side to attach the steel plate to.

I am only "clamped" at 2 locations. I have a 3/8" end mill, and the chips are flying! It feels good! The finish is far better than I expected as this clamping allows some vibration, but not much.

Thank You, Matt, for adding the variable speed drive. I can dial it in to the sweet spot and remove the metal. I should have ordered the DRO and power feed from Matt when I got the machine. 20/20 hindsight for sure. But this machine is a pleasure to work with!

Cheers!

StanR

Sounds like you are having fun! Working out clamping and workflow is kind of fun I think, in my world at least. It is sounding like the reality of buying machines and tooling is gonna hit you here soon, boy what an addiction it gets to be.

Yep

Having fun...trying to figure out how to re-clamp as I cut it down to fit. It's definitely smaller as the travel limits me either way, so I set it up to cut off parallel pieces. I'll square the cutoffs, too, and connect them for use on larger pieces. If I don't, I know I'll regret it sooner or later...
The sacrificial table saw was an old Skilsaw that had a broken motor case- I needed to make some cuts, and a neighbor brought it over. It screamed like a banshee; when I was done cutting I found that the motor case was held together with a child's leather belt, which no longer fit. Never had seen anything like that! I took off the belt, wedged a block of wood between the end of the motor and base, and stuck it with two drywall screws through the base. After a few more cuts, it went into a dark corner. It re-appeared after I realized I would need to make a table for the horizontal bandsaw.
I know all about "tool collecting"... and I know I am on the edge of getting more. I'm barely tooled enough to do this job. Clamping had been real fun, having 2 t-bolts, nuts and washers. But the end mill survived all this, no damage. Still cutting nice (for this job) this was a used end mill when I got it. Definitely going for a clamp set, and 2 more TTS holders next!

Cheers,

StanR

Bought the Harbor Freight 4x6" bandsaw.
Works great so far- haven't plugged it in yet. Spent most of my time trying to imagine what the sheet metal fabricators had in mind. The legs wanted to be installed on something else; I convinced them to fit in spite of their inclinations. I suppose tomorrow night I can do the blade adjustment, check the gearbox and get started on some slow cuts.
I have steel that I have pack-ratted away that now can be cut and machined into something.
Slowly building a clamp set. Found some NOS US-made clamps some t-nuts, some studs... the machine is quite quiet with the clamps! I was using bolts, big washers and old beat parallels. The part was held fast, but since it overhangs the table on both ends, it made noise. Now the pieces are solid. Most of the work in front of me will be milling openings in a piece of 3/8" plate, about 6" wide; I'll need to make a tooling plate for this as moving clamps constantly really slows things down!
Right now the bandsaw will be used in vertical position to cut the 2 large openings in each piece. Then some through pockets...

Later!

StanR

Get yourself a auto window motor and hang it on the left end of the table. .Put a ball bearing in the end piece, rig a dog clutch on the motor shaft to drive the feed screw, apply a speed control on the motor and you've got your power feed. Mine will max out at 10 inches a minute, plenty for what I want to do.

Back