PM25MV - is it possible to upgrade the Z column?

javaduke

Registered
Registered
I'm generally very happy with my PM25MV machine, but I wish the Z column was maybe a few inches longer. When I use the drill chuck, there's not much room left between the drill bit and my workpiece, and sometimes I have to use a longer drill bit which makes the whole process very difficult if not impossible. So I'm wondering if there are any commercially available Z column upgrades - or are there any other/better solutions out there?

The simplest way would be to add a spacer block between the column and the base. The block qwould have to have parallel faces and drilled with clearance holes for the bolts but other than that. it is fairly non-critical. One consideration is that raisinfg the column will affect the minimum head height. The spindle face on my mill/drill would reach about an inch below the table surface with the quill fully extended and with a tool length of around an inch, I could put a 2" spacer on mine without affecting my minimum. Anything thicker could conceivably affect my ability to machine. Of course, I could always put a spacer on the table to build up the height.

An alternative for you that would be easier would to get a set of R8 collets and mount your drills in collets for those tight situations. A set by 1/16th inch will accommodate any drill from 1/16" on up as well as reducing stick-out with end mills.

Yes, I do use collets when possible, but it doesn't always work for some oddball sized bits. Also, sometimes I need to use a boring head, so collet is not an option.

I use an ER collet chuck. ER 16 goes to half inch. This allows me to choke up on the drills. A complete set of collets is about $25 and the chuck less than that I think. This will cover all drills upto. 5".

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ER16 only goes to 3/8 (10mm), although I think Maritool makes an oversized 13/32 collet.

Also, when choking up on a drill, you need to be careful to not clamp on to the fluted section. Better quality / larger size drill bits will have relieved margins in the fluted section, with the full diameter only present at two points around the circumference.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Ah right. It's ER20 that goes to 1/2". I've never had an issue with choking up on a drill by the flutes.

Buy a set of short drills.

A 1.5" steel spacer would help. You could get another 1/2" from cutting the slot at the top, not much room there.

On the PM-25 the Z nut holder mounts to the lower part of the slide giving it a good amount of over travel. Is that where you mounted the Z nut holder?

Back