PM30 works pretty nice :)

I'm in the market for a mill and have been researching the PM-30MV and the PM-727V. Did you look at the PM-727 also? If you did, what made you decide to buy the PM-30?

Another question...how do you lock the spindle on your PM-30 when you change tooling? I'm familiar with a Bridgeport style knee mill and I don't see a similar sort of knob or handle to lock the spindle.

Thanks,
Buzz
I recently got the PM-30MV mill to convert to CNC. I chose it over the PM-727M or PM-727V because it already had a belt drive, larger X-axis travel, and more weight. The PM-727* mills have a gearbox. Most CNC conversions replace that with a belt drive and new motor to get a higher spindle speed. The PM-30MV already has a belt drive so less conversion cost.

The PM-30MV comes with a wrench that fits the flats on the spindle to loosen the drawbar. Sorry the picture is rotated. I can't seem to figure out how to upload pictures without the orientation changing.

PM30SpindleWrench.jpg

Just a gentle reminder, we don't use drill chucks to hold end mills..... That's what the collets are for.

I've found I'm better off using end mill holders. I've had mills slip inside brand new good collets. If I'm taking a light cut I'll use a collet if it's closer within reach but most times I'm using em holders.

I recently got the PM-30MV mill to convert to CNC. I chose it over the PM-727M or PM-727V because it already had a belt drive, larger X-axis travel, and more weight. The PM-727* mills have a gearbox. Most CNC conversions replace that with a belt drive and new motor to get a higher spindle speed. The PM-30MV already has a belt drive so less conversion cost.

The PM-30MV comes with a wrench that fits the flats on the spindle to loosen the drawbar. Sorry the picture is rotated. I can't seem to figure out how to upload pictures without the orientation changing.

Thanks for the info. I don't plan to make it a CNC, but I like the variable speed and quiet running. The PM-30 and the PM-727 seem to be about the right size for me.

Back