PM45-CNC OWNERS

zr8cnc

Active User
Registered
I am looking for people who have purchased the cnc version of the PM45 mill from Precision Matthews? I recently purchased the cnc version and i am having some trouble getting it up and running on the MACH3 software. Well I have have managed to get all three axis's moving but cannot seem to turn the spindle on. if you have any input please chime in

I am looking for people who have purchased the cnc version of the PM45 mill from Precision Matthews? I recently purchased the cnc version and i am having some trouble getting it up and running on the MACH3 software. Well I have have managed to get all three axis's moving but cannot seem to turn the spindle on. if you have any input please chime in

I recieved my PM45-CNC about a month ago. It tool two full days to get it un crated and mounted on the cast iron stand. Another full weekend to figure out how to get Mach3 talking to the motion control board and then another couple of weekends learning CAMBAM, Mach3 and machining enough to produce my first part (a 6061 Lego block). I broke two end mills in the process (well three as I just waisted a 1/2" 4 flute end mill by overheating it. I am sure it could be sharpened but that is yet another thing I have to learn) and just yesterday finally got it so that when it gets a speed command list S2000 it turns something close to 2000 rpm.

So, are you still have problem with getting the spindle to turn on? I would be happy to share my Mach3 configurations if it will help.

I recieved my PM45-CNC about a month ago. It tool two full days to get it un crated and mounted on the cast iron stand. Another full weekend to figure out how to get Mach3 talking to the motion control board and then another couple of weekends learning CAMBAM, Mach3 and machining enough to produce my first part (a 6061 Lego block). I broke two end mills in the process (well three as I just waisted a 1/2" 4 flute end mill by overheating it. I am sure it could be sharpened but that is yet another thing I have to learn) and just yesterday finally got it so that when it gets a speed command list S2000 it turns something close to 2000 rpm.

So, are you still have problem with getting the spindle to turn on? I would be happy to share my Mach3 configurations if it will help.

Myself and zr8 would probably benefit. I just got mine put on the base today. I spent an hour setting up Mach 3 and got XYZ & A to work. I just set the two pulley speeds and tried the spindle calibrate function and it didn't fire up. It was my first try at spinning the spindle and not even sure if that's the right way to do it. I'm new to Mach 3...

It would be great if you could pass along any tips you might have.

Ray

Myself and zr8 would probably benefit. I just got mine put on the base today. I spent an hour setting up Mach 3 and got XYZ & A to work. I just set the two pulley speeds and tried the spindle calibrate function and it didn't fire up. It was my first try at spinning the spindle and not even sure if that's the right way to do it. I'm new to Mach 3...

It would be great if you could pass along any tips you might have.

Ray

Just read your post. I do not believe that there is a spindle speed feedback to Mach3. What this means is that Mach3 will output a PWM signal for the speed you select but has no way of knowing what the actual speed is. Another side effect is that this would prevent the spindle calibration from working. I have only used the higher speed gearbox selection and have no problem running the mill from low RPM like 100rpm to slightly over 3000rpm. I find I am cutting at the high end. Of course that would change when I need to Tap some holes. As a result I have not made any attempt at getting the lower gearbox pulley setting to work. I would love to see a picture of the control box open on your system that has an A axis. I want to know if I have the the control hardware for the axis and all I need is a rotary table to connect or if I have to also install additional control hardware.

Just read your post. I do not believe that there is a spindle speed feedback to Mach3. What this means is that Mach3 will output a PWM signal for the speed you select but has no way of knowing what the actual speed is. Another side effect is that this would prevent the spindle calibration from working. I have only used the higher speed gearbox selection and have no problem running the mill from low RPM like 100rpm to slightly over 3000rpm. I find I am cutting at the high end. Of course that would change when I need to Tap some holes. As a result I have not made any attempt at getting the lower gearbox pulley setting to work. I would love to see a picture of the control box open on your system that has an A axis. I want to know if I have the the control hardware for the axis and all I need is a rotary table to connect or if I have to also install additional control hardware.

I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it. In a nutshell, if you look at the lower rack of equipment, the motor controllers are lined-up in a row. They are black with heat sinks and built-in fans... about 1.5" wide and 5" square (roughly). If you have 4 then you're set for 4 axis.

This machine is pretty sweet. I put it in safe z-mode and ran some test g-code programs. -Makes really cool noises. Sadly, though, I need to work past the little issue of turning on the spindle... -details, details...

Ray

Update...tonight I deleted the 1.58 jamen driver and installed the other driver 1.56 and bingo the spindle started up. The only problem is that the mach3 program is in Chinese and not English. I hope to fix this tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Boswell, thanks for replying to my thread. Its good to know a few people with these mills. Did you set your axis motors up at 320 steps?

Also how do you like the mill so far?

Update...tonight I deleted the 1.58 jamen driver and installed the other driver 1.56 and bingo the spindle started up. The only problem is that the mach3 program is in Chinese and not English. I hope to fix this tomorrow.

Really? Is that something Google Translate can do, accurately?

I looked for the :popcorn: emoticon but there's not one.

I will certainly be following this one.

- - - Updated - - -

Boswell, thanks for replying to my thread. Its good to know a few people with these mills. Did you set your axis motors up at 320 steps?

Also how do you like the mill so far?

Ah yes, there's a language setting -or possibly you download a different copy for different languages. Mach 3 is available in many languages.

Just so folks know, this thing was plug-and-play in prior models. They recently added the handheld "pendant" controller and the software was updated -and as usual, software glitches are ruining all the fun... Matt is sending email back/forth with the integrator guy in China and I'm told he's really, really smart but hard to understand.

Just for grins, if I have time today, I'm going to install the version of Mach that comes with the CD. I bet it has the proper profile files and will work right away. So far, I think we've all fallen into the trap of downloading the latest version of Mach from the ArtSoft website.

Anyhow, I got my machine going (minus the spindle control) in about 1 hour... One little glitch to resolve and I've been in contact with someone who knows how to update the spindle configuration to make it work. He's going to send me a screenshot rather than transcribe the information.

As stated, I'm taking notes and pictures to help the future generation of "CNC'ers"...

Ray

Thanks for the description of the motor controllers. I will check but I think I have 4 but was not sure if one was for the spindle or not.

Also Screens are easy to change in Mach3. I am using a screen set called Multi Interface ScreenSet 2013 from Per Bjorn Jeppeson. http://www.sten-kunst.dk/PBJ-Multi-Interface-2013.htm

My X,Y and Z are set to 8000 steps per revolution.

I will not be able to get out to capture screen shots until lunch time or this evening.

- - - Updated - - -

You asked how I like the Mill. Well by one measure of success if have found that I can screw things up much faster and more efficiently than ever before. :whistle:. I have also discovered how many more tools that I "Need" so my kids inheritance is at risk. I have spent almost all of my free time over the last 5 weekends setting it up and learning and making scrap.
So in other words. I love it !

Back