PM45-CNC OWNERS

First, thanks for all the great cooperation on helping one another. Again, I'm sorry for being late to the game as I was hoping to blaze this trail months ago (but I cut my fingers and had to hang things up for a month or more).

I will find time later today to revert to the older driver to see (for grins) if that makes the spindle work. If that does not pan-out, I would greatly appreciate seeing your screen shots.

As for the spindle controller. That is a 3 phase motor and it's powered with the VFD. It cannot use a digital motor controller. It must use an analog signal to control the VFD. BTW: That particular VFD is designed for good low-end torque. The thing is really expensive so don't mess it up.

FWIW: The mill is fine but, I am obviously biased. I already had a PM45 (it's 5 years old) and with the exception of limiting the gearbox to two speeds, it's the same machine. My old unit is perfect after 5 years of heavy use... Never skips a beat. I never thought to question.

I am a little baffled about the one-shot oil pump. I thought it had a timer setting and I'm trying to better understand it. Anyhow, whatever you do, DO NOT unhook one of the lines and turn it on to see if it works. -Trust me, it works. It's got a LOT of pressure. Trust me... (it shot an amazing amount of vactra #2 all over me and the shop in about 1.5 seconds). It works....

Ray

- - - Updated - - -

First, thanks for all the great cooperation on helping one another. Again, I'm sorry for being late to the game as I was hoping to blaze this trail months ago (but I cut my fingers and had to hang things up for a month or more).

I will find time later today to revert to the older driver to see (for grins) if that makes the spindle work. If that does not pan-out, I would greatly appreciate seeing your screen shots.

As for the spindle controller. That is a 3 phase motor and it's powered with the VFD. It cannot use a digital motor controller. It must use an analog signal to control the VFD. BTW: That particular VFD is designed for good low-end torque. The thing is really expensive so don't mess it up.

FWIW: The mill is fine but, I am obviously biased. I already had a PM45 (it's 5 years old) and with the exception of limiting the gearbox to two speeds, it's the same machine. My old unit is perfect after 5 years of heavy use... Never skips a beat. I never thought to question.

I am a little baffled about the one-shot oil pump. I thought it had a timer setting and I'm trying to better understand it. Anyhow, whatever you do, DO NOT unhook one of the lines and turn it on to see if it works. -Trust me, it works. It's got a LOT of pressure. Trust me... (it shot an amazing amount of vactra #2 all over me and the shop in about 1.5 seconds). It works....

Ray

Ray

Twice I have emptied the reservoir by turning on the pump and forgetting to turn it off until I noticed the large puddle of oil on the floor. for now, I turn it on and count to 10 slowly then turn it off. I do this once per day. if someone has a suggestion for a better process, please share. This is a candidate for a push button with a timer.

Twice I have emptied the reservoir by turning on the pump and forgetting to turn it off until I noticed the large puddle of oil on the floor. for now, I turn it on and count to 10 slowly then turn it off. I do this once per day. if someone has a suggestion for a better process, please share. This is a candidate for a push button with a timer.

It's got wires that go into the control box and I can hear relays when I turn the switch; therefore, it can be programmed... :thumbsup: I'll get to it...

Ray

I created a new thread on PM45-CNC configuration. I uploaded my Mach3 xml config file to that thread.
I have also put screen captures of the MACH3 config pages

Last edited:
Thanks for the description of the motor controllers. I will check but I think I have 4 but was not sure if one was for the spindle or not.

Also Screens are easy to change in Mach3. I am using a screen set called Multi Interface ScreenSet 2013 from Per Bjorn Jeppeson. http://www.sten-kunst.dk/PBJ-Multi-Interface-2013.htm

My X,Y and Z are set to 8000 steps per revolution.

I will not be able to get out to capture screen shots until lunch time or this evening.

- - - Updated - - -

You asked how I like the Mill. Well by one measure of success if have found that I can screw things up much faster and more efficiently than ever before. :whistle:. I have also discovered how many more tools that I "Need" so my kids inheritance is at risk. I have spent almost all of my free time over the last 5 weekends setting it up and learning and making scrap.
So in other words. I love it !

when you dial the stepper motors in the axis really crank! I was shocked at how fast table moved once I started adjusting the speeds. Also thanks for posting the site for the different screen sets because i wasnt aware that you could change them

when you dial the stepper motors in the axis really crank! I was shocked at how fast table moved once I started adjusting the speeds. Also thanks for posting the site for the different screen sets because i wasnt aware that you could change them

Not have any real experience with machining I have been running very low feed rates. I have been playing with 6061. Yesterday I did some pocketing with a 1/2 square endmill and was using 15ips with a plunge rate of 9ips. I was taking .05 inches in Depth and when it plunged each time you could hear the motor take up the load and the RPMs would drop slightly. After several cycles of this I could tell something was not right (not nearly as fast as I should have). When I stopped it, the end of the cutter was completely blocked up with aluminum that had welded itself. I removed the aluminum but you could see the cutting edges were very damaged. I am going to try again and back off the plunge rate by more than half and probably some on the XY rate as well

I am looking for people who have purchased the cnc version of the PM45 mill from Precision Matthews? I recently purchased the cnc version and i am having some trouble getting it up and running on the MACH3 software. Well I have have managed to get all three axis's moving but cannot seem to turn the spindle on. if you have any input please chime in

I have a new PM45-CNC and am in the same boat. It is the new one that came with the handheld controller. Can get everything to move but the spindle. It has twitched a few time, but no spinning. Also have the Mach3 in Chinese, and that is a giant pain trying to do anything.

I tried both versions on the CD, tried both drivers and no luck on the spindle or Chinese. I downloaded the most current version from the website and it was still in Chinese. After I uninstalled and deleted the Mach3 folder it came up in English. No matter what I did configuration wise it would not run the machine like the Chinese version did. Now I am back to Chinese. I have an email to Matt, one of many this week. Waiting to hear back.

I was getting super frustrated and then I found this thread. I am glad it is not just me!

I was getting super frustrated and then I found this thread. I am glad it is not just me!

Welcome to the forum AJG308.

I started a seperate thread for configuration information. I put screen shots of all of the Mach3 Config pages there.
To get english, you just need to load an english screen set.

select the "View" tab on the top (4th from left)
then "Load Screens" (first choice)
the select the default screen set which is 1024.set (not 1024cn.set)

there are many screen sets available some for free other for a small charge. do some searches and find one that you like.
I am using the PBJ 2013 screen set.

let us know if this helps or if not there are several of us all with new PM45-cnc mills going through this at about the same time.
I mostly have mine working and am happy to help out any way I can.

I have a new PM45-CNC and am in the same boat. It is the new one that came with the handheld controller. Can get everything to move but the spindle. It has twitched a few time, but no spinning. Also have the Mach3 in Chinese, and that is a giant pain trying to do anything.

I tried both versions on the CD, tried both drivers and no luck on the spindle or Chinese. I downloaded the most current version from the website and it was still in Chinese. After I uninstalled and deleted the Mach3 folder it came up in English. No matter what I did configuration wise it would not run the machine like the Chinese version did. Now I am back to Chinese. I have an email to Matt, one of many this week. Waiting to hear back.

AJG308,

I wish in your same exact boat. I remember loading the chinese version first and thinking oh this must be the wrong one and then installing the 1.58 driver. then once i went back the mto the chinese 1.56 driver in chinese my mill ran awesome. I will try changing my Mach3 from Chinese to English and post my results last night. i found a link to change that said go to view and click Load Screen...browse to the mach 3 folder and select 1024.set and this will bring it back to English. i have not tried it yet but i will tonight.

I agree this should have been a much easier setup from PM. I was frustrated because i am noobie with CNC and was looking for a simple mill to get me started. once we figure out all the issues this should go smoothly.

Got an exciting update!

My buddy just came over and we were looking at it and I was explaining the problem to him. He said it sounds like a clutch problem. So he starts messing with the spindle and gear selector and said it was just out of gear. By turning the spindle it allowed the clutch to engage and when I hit the spindle power button it worked!

So it may be as simple as it not being fully in gear. Hope this helps someone.

20140228_140255[1].jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to the forum AJG308.

I started a seperate thread for configuration information. I put screen shots of all of the Mach3 Config pages there.
To get english, you just need to load an english screen set.

select the "View" tab on the top (4th from left)
then "Load Screens" (first choice)
the select the default screen set which is 1024.set (not 1024cn.set)

there are many screen sets available some for free other for a small charge. do some searches and find one that you like.
I am using the PBJ 2013 screen set.

let us know if this helps or if not there are several of us all with new PM45-cnc mills going through this at about the same time.
I mostly have mine working and am happy to help out any way I can.

This is what I was hoping for. I kind of felt like I was alone in this, glad to help and be helped. Thanks.

AJG308,

I wish in your same exact boat. I remember loading the chinese version first and thinking oh this must be the wrong one and then installing the 1.58 driver. then once i went back the mto the chinese 1.56 driver in chinese my mill ran awesome. I will try changing my Mach3 from Chinese to English and post my results last night. i found a link to change that said go to view and click Load Screen...browse to the mach 3 folder and select 1024.set and this will bring it back to English. i have not tried it yet but i will tonight.

I agree this should have been a much easier setup from PM. I was frustrated because i am noobie with CNC and was looking for a simple mill to get me started. once we figure out all the issues this should go smoothly.

I will try changing this right now and report back. Hopefully Matt comes up with better instructions for future users.

- - - Updated - - -

english.jpg

Got English! Thanks for the fix.

english.jpg 20140228_140255[1].jpg

Back