Pm45m Cnc Conversion With 7800 Rpm Belt Drive 3 Hp Upgrade, Bt30 Spindle, Power Draw Bar + Enclosure

Do you have a thread for your new build?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

really nice build, now I'll have to start at the beginning and read everything.
I like the double ballnut setup.
steve

Do you have a thread for your new build?

Heh, I just got hauled in for the night by the wife for working on it too much. I have a day job and you do what you can... I just started a thread on cnc zone but then found out about this place from Darkzero. I will move it here.

Heh, I just got hauled in for the night by the wife for working on it too much. I have a day job and you do what you can... I just started a thread on cnc zone but then found out about this place from Darkzero. I will move it here.
Me too I just discovered this forum recently. I was on Cnczone all then time. Actually I am still there but this forum has a lot to offer

GT40 great build! I really like what you did adapting the BT30 spindle. Can you explain what you did to get 12.75" of Y axis travel? Maybe it's just me but I'm not clear what you did to get that much travel. I've extended the slot on my PM932 and with the saddle all the way out I've got about 3-3/16" of overhang and 10" of total travel. All the way in the bellows takes up some of the available travel but not 2-3/4".

Thanks,

Tom S

GT40 great build! I really like what you did adapting the BT30 spindle. Can you explain what you did to get 12.75" of Y axis travel? Maybe it's just me but I'm not clear what you did to get that much travel. I've extended the slot on my PM932 and with the saddle all the way out I've got about 3-3/16" of overhang and 10" of total travel. All the way in the bellows takes up some of the available travel but not 2-3/4".

Thanks,

Tom S

It is doing the 4" head extension - cutting a bigger slot by itself doesn't get you there. You may need to use a different bellows design to take full advantage. I am running at 11.1 practical travel with the accordion bellows and 12" and change without it. I almost forgot, you can enlarge the hole where the ballscrew goes on the front of the y axis and support it on the front with really big bearing block. Mine is 2.5" thick. There are more pics here:

http://www.mccomsey.net/cncmill/

One more thing, when you max out things that much you are really pushing things from an overhang perspective. I like to stick to about only 1/3" of the saddle hanging out. Extending Y this much on these machines allows you to do that occasional piece with the extra length if you go slow but the biggest benefit is seen every time you do a setup in the vice or table- being able to have it come all the way to the front of my enclosure saves my back and just makes everything much easier.

Back