PM727 OR GO754

GunsOfNavarone

Registered
Registered
I literally have both added to cart and don't know enough about milling or these machines to make a decision. Can anyone suggest anything that makes me to make one purchase over the other?
Grizzly, parts availability (add on as well as replacement parts)
PM, square column (not round) better at keeping postioning.
I'm sure plenty more, I'm just so balanced in my choices, I don't know what is better for me. Making motorcycle parts mostly, they are pretty evenly matched for what i need...
Thanks guys, I know I'm on a path to be an annoying newb, I'll try to control that.

Kind of very different machines, if for milling then the G0754 is not really what you want and is more a drill than a mill. The closes comparison in a PM mill would be the PM 932M which is a lot more machine for the close to the G0754 price and will be way more rigid. As far as parts and service, these days I would say PM winds hands down and has a longer warranty (3 year vs. 1 year).

A lot depends on what you will be doing and the dimensions of parts, the PM-727MV is a great smaller mill, it is 120V. If you need a bit bigger than look at the PM-30MV which is 240V, both are variable speed and PM-30MV is belt drive so will be very quiet, PM-727V has six gear speeds so although smaller motor you have 6 gear/speed ranges. If you want to go big, then the PM 932 at 1100lbs is a big one and you will have room to grow into it if you start doing bigger projects. Read the reviews, a number of people have bought these machines, I own a PM 1340GT for 4+ years which is a great machine and the service has been stellar.

Last edited:
Actually there are two PM 727 versions- one is variable speed and one is not, some other differences too- I would pick either one over Griz
Mark
PM's service is so well regarded I wouldn't buy Asian machinery from anywhere else

Interesting considerations. Other than the power feed, they seemed like equal contenders. Room in my garage is limited, I have to consider that. Between the new mill and the mill, I might be intruding into my wife's have of the garage (more like her 3rd) as far as the parts sizes, I don't know what i don't know. Axles and spacers are for sure/now for the lathe. Lower 80% are something I've wanted to do for a while (and correctly) i have just fallen in love with machining, it's what my dad was and at 49 years old, I now realize it's what I should have done. So, I'm not completely sure what i will be making, but I am currently in middle of a chopper build and I am fabbing, not buying for the larger part.
i have plenty of 220v like us in my garage, no 3 phase. A 1000 lbs of more seems daunting for sure...500 to 800 seems more manageable. Grizzly seems to have great service, tons of on hand parts, many people love theirs and mods up the thing yang. I just want a mill with the capability for larger/thicker pieces, ability to upgrade, under 2k and makes me more handsome. any ideas based on that guys. I am seriously relying on folks with knowledge under their belts for ideas.
Thanks a bunch!

Also real quickly, can you explain how the (g0754) at 500 lbs and $2000 is more a drill than mill? This is something i obviously don't understand that I need to. I'm not being a smart@ss, it is something that really has me scratching my head....

Hi, no problem with asking. A round column is inherently less stable then a square column as far as alignment. When one frequently raises and lowers the head, the round column will not stay lined up with the work. A square column has dovetails and gibbs which keep the head true as it is moved up/down on the column and then one can lock the gibbs if you need to do accurate work. If you do a internet search on "round column mill alignment" there is plenty posted on the alignment/stability problems with round columns. Round columns are most commonly seen with drill presses then mills, assuming also less expensive to produce than a good square column.

If you are considering the Grizzly then I would look at something like the G0761 which is also a square column. I would also look carefully at the different travel dimensions, X, Y and Z; the Y and Z can quickly be eaten up by your vise, chuck and tooling. The PM-30MV is a good size based on the weight and size constraints, as mentioned there are a number of posting that you can review for this model. If you want to go with Grizzly then I believe the G0761 would be a better choice over the G0754 if you will be doing more milling.

Much appreciated. I get all that, makes good sense. It's all tools to help me make the right purchase(s)...and better yet, suggestions on models without bias.
Thanks tons!

I think I'm leaning towards the PM-727m. I can get it with stand and delivered for 2k. Sounds like a very good starter and most likely, room to grow. Power feed, DRO. I am shooting in the dark, but I thinking it's a fit.

Back