Pm727 Questions

I waited months on my pm1236, when I got a mill I chose one in stock. Got the mill in a week! Almost felt too fast, I was scrambling to get a spot cleaned out in time.

When I purchased my PM-30MV a few weeks ago, there were only "2" in stock, including the one I reserved with a downpayment, before I paid the full amount.

When I purchased my PM-30MV a few weeks ago, there were only "2" in stock, including the one I reserved with a downpayment, before I paid the full amount.

What is it like to lift the "Z" axis, because many people with the 727 have indicated that it can be hard on people with shoulder or arm problems?

What is it like to lift the "Z" axis, because many people with the 727 have indicated that it can be hard on people with shoulder or arm problems?

Actually kind of depends on what angle you're moving the handle, but it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be and I'm by no means a "fit" person.

Hi Patrick,

My last bench top mill had a 3Hp BLDC variable speed motor with a 3 speed gearbox to cover a speed range of 50-3000RPM. Variable speed allows you to change speed on the fly and dial in a specific speed for the work conditions. It makes it much easier to get the optimal speed and feed. Trying to achieve this with just a 6 speed gearbox w/o variable speed is cumbersome and the speed steps are very large. Given the choice and nominal cost difference, variable speed is the way to go. You need the six speed gearbox to give you the power band for each variable speed range which I would estimate would be 40-100%. As you decrease the variable speed down you loose Hp.

The main reason for a belt conversion is noise (which I have not heard as an issue with the 727V) and increase spindle speed. You are getting a mill with a 1 Hp motor, so you need the gearing steps or multiple pulley steps to provide the mechanical ratio within the operating range of the variable speed motor. Most people that convert to belt drive use two steps and use a larger motor, otherwise the performance will suffer. Conversion to a belt drive is usually done on conversion to a CNC machine where you they are spinning the spindle at much higher speeds using a small bit. Converting a PM-727V to a belt drive would compromise the machine significantly if using it only for manual milling. You would also be spending a lot more money unnecessarily converting a PM-727V to belt drive vs. buying a PM-30MV which comes with a 2 speed belt drive with a 2Hp motor.

Both the PM-727V and PM-30MV, offer an optimal milling package in my opinion for their size and price. If you need a smaller footprint and/or only have 120V go with the PM-727V, if you want belt drive and have 220V go with the PM-30MV. Size matters, but as far as travel (X, Y, Z) the 30MV gives a bit more X travel, but otherwise they are very similar in this category. If you have 220V, the PM-30MV would be my recommendation. Be aware that the cost of equipping your mill (vise, chucks, end mills, etc.) can easily be the same cost as the mill itself.
Mark
I just Purchase one

I just pick one up and I love it my fan is loader then the 727v I would buy again and the people there are great I'm going to buy a new lathe soon 1030v. Get it with dro's theirs install is fantastic

I just put a motor in mine for about 100.00 it works great

I have the 727v, love the variable speed. as said earlier you can tune the speed to the cut on the fly.

as for the z lift its not hard at all. due to how close i am to the wall i hold the handle with my thumb and two fingers. kind of pinching it because i cannot get a full grip on the handle, when i raise or lower, no issues.

Back