Pm727 Questions

+1 on the PM-30MV, I have one as my first mill and am very pleased. It has done everything I've asked of it. Definitely recommend it for the variable speed, belt drive, and more hp over the 727. When we move in a couple years I will upgrade to a knee mill but keep the 30, thinking of diving down the cnc rabbit hole on that one.

Pm727m, hardened gears, no belts to change, simple manual gear box. The variable speed version gives you much more rpm.

I went with the manual, I just don't "need" any more electronics to possibly repair. I don't run at 1700 rpm often, I don't need the higher rpm working in my usual steels. I have a manual 1236 too, it's just preference and cost.

I really like the manual gear box, no changing belt position for the hi/lo ranges. It's a nice option over the PM25. I run slow often drilling 1" holes, the quick gear changes are nice compared to my belt drive machine. The 727 runs good at low rpm and doesn't struggle at all. Well, at least with a 1" drill bit in 1018.

I have been thankful I did get the pre-installed DRO. My first, should of bought a mill with a dro years and years ago. I'll probably add dro to my 1236 too.

Pm727m, hardened gears, no belts to change, simple manual gear box. The variable speed version gives you much more rpm.

I went with the manual, I just don't "need" any more electronics to possibly repair. I don't run at 1700 rpm often, I don't need the higher rpm working in my usual steels. I have a manual 1236 too, it's just preference and cost.

I really like the manual gear box, no changing belt position for the hi/lo ranges. It's a nice option over the PM25. I run slow often drilling 1" holes, the quick gear changes are nice compared to my belt drive machine. The 727 runs good at low rpm and doesn't struggle at all. Well, at least with a 1" drill bit in 1018.

I have been thankful I did get the pre-installed DRO. My first, should of bought a mill with a dro years and years ago. I'll probably add dro to my 1236 too.

This is a good example of buying a machine to fit it's intended purpose. SSage drills large holes in steel. Not everyone does. I do have a 1" drill bit, somewhere, but have never used it. Someday I might. :)

If you are leaning towards doing lots of heavy(er) work in steel, a gear head makes sense. If you are doing smaller projects in aluminum, you would benefit from a higher spindle rpm.

This is a good example of buying a machine to fit it's intended purpose. SSage drills large holes in steel. Not everyone does. I do have a 1" drill bit, somewhere, but have never used it. Someday I might. :)

If you are leaning towards doing lots of heavy(er) work in steel, a gear head makes sense. If you are doing smaller projects in aluminum, you would benefit from a higher spindle rpm.

Interesting input (also from Ssage ), I like working with steel, particularly because I can weld it easily with my MIG machine. I almost never work with aluminum (as of now). The 30mv still seems attractive to me, unless somebody convinces me it’s not a good machine for steel. I like the extended X travel, larger table, and smooth belts.

As an audible, I’m also tossing around the idea of forfeiting the variable speed/belt and step up to the 932m-basic. It seems like double the machine as far as weight/rigidity is concerned. I wasn’t considering this before as I didn’t have 240v lined up.

Matts’s Product lineup really makes these decisions hard.

The PM30 is more than capable of working with steel. My PM25 worked with steel. But, these smaller machines are not ideal for heavy machining in steel. Too much flex.

Drilling is one thing. Milling is quite another. :)

If you are intending to feed your machine a steady diet of 1/2" thick and larger chunks of steel, and drilling huge holes it it, then you might be looking at too small of a machine. These machines can do it, but you won't be running a 5/8" end mill buried to the hilt in a 1" steel plate on either of these machines. The 932 would be a much better choice IMO.

The only machine I owned (prior to my current one) that could bury a 5/8" end mill in steel was my 9x40. :)

The pm727m was purchased to replace an antique huge 3ph Bridgeport manual machine. I'm only working on small tools and dies.

I wondered if a small bench mill could machine out my 1" thick die blocks and it's really been no problem. The motor only gets warm after a couple hours of drilling, milling slots and squaring up the faces etc. I try and run things slow and cool with a mister, the large hss 1" drill bits dull quick when the temp rises and things steam. I haven't had any issue machining down steel bars with little 1/2" end mills. Just use tooling that matches the mill's power.

I realized I could condense my work shop into one fairly small room. In retrospect, I'm happy with my setup. But I have a narrow set of projects, it helps greatly to buy the machines big enough to satisfy your actual work. I like my home shop small, my hobby is getting more like a real job enough already.

To get 220V, you can always use two different breakers. I did it for $20!

240V adapter.jpg

On the topic of Aluminum and Steel, I noticed the PM-727 and PM30MV run at max 3000 RPM.
The PM932 maxes out at 1970 RPM.

If I wanted to cut something like aluminum, can I work with 1970 RPM?

I'm trying to make sense of some RPM calculators, but I'm seeing different results. I know it will cut, but what do I sacrifice by milling aluminum at such a slow speed?

To get 220V, you can always use two different breakers. I did it for $20!

View attachment 258784

That's not sketchy... :xmaslights:

On the topic of Aluminum and Steel, I noticed the PM-727 and PM30MV run at max 3000 RPM.
The PM932 maxes out at 1970 RPM.

If I wanted to cut something like aluminum, can I work with 1970 RPM?

I'm trying to make sense of some RPM calculators, but I'm seeing different results. I know it will cut, but what do I sacrifice by milling aluminum at such a slow speed?

Yes, just run larger tools to get your SFM up. I have a friend that just runs 0.5" tooling in his mill that only runs 2000RPM.

Do you have any plans to CNC it in the future?

PZ

Last edited:
Back