Pm727m and face milling

Brad125

Registered
Registered
Hey fellas, i am in the market for a face mill for just squaring up parts. I am so lost on what "style" of face mill would be the best for this type of machine? Any suggestions? I want to stay economical, preferbly under 100$ right now.

I have the same machine, I'm guessing that doesn't have much bearing other than staying under 2"? I have thought about it as well, but I read such horror stories with cheap import FACE MILLS. Interested in people chiming in here with their experiences...

There was a longish thread a while back on this subject... I'll see if I can find it.

Yea i was looking into 2" face mills... but there is so many different ones. Being there is some flex in these machines, i wanted to see if anyone else tried one and what results they had.

I have the G2861 and it's "ok". The surface finish isn't great but it works fine for squaring stuff up on my PM-727V. The Glacern 45 degree indexable mills look nice and from what I've read they should work better for facing (although not for cutting to a shoulder), but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. They also cost twice as much, so YMMV.

I was looking at thoes g2861's. Seem to get good reviews, but i dont care for that style of insert. Of course, the inserts are cheap enough though.

Is a fly cutter out of the question? It can square parts with the best of them and can even do stock reduction if you aren't in a major rush. Typically cheaper since it uses only one insert and no worries about getting multiple inserts aligned.

No i dont like fly cutters, unless they would have an indexable cutter. But, thoes ones are outta my budget.

If an inserted carbide flycutter is out of the budget then a decent face mill with multiple inserts will definitely be out of the budget.

Sorry, but where did you find a carbide fly cutter. Id like to look at it. The only ones i found were expensive.

Back