PM727M DILEMMA

I have already adjusted the gib, i cant go any tighter as it already binds on the dovetails on both the bottom and top of the column.

What you are relating is a very bad sign. If your gib is not seriously mis-manufactured, then the problem is with the column itself.

I don't know, i just got off the phone with PM again, and there wasnt anyone from tech there to talk to and mike was out. I told them i did everything they suggested and its not working. The guy on the phone was very understanding but said they are backed up there. I just have been working on it for weeks and am about to call it quits. Starting to regret my decision buying this machine.

You are almost at the finish line. I would say give the new gib a shot. If you can't resolve it with a gib-swap/tweak... then you are in a good position to ask for a replacement. Even reputable shops can get a unit which did not match the specs they specified with the manufacturer.

I hope something can be figured out, im just so frustrated with the whole sisuation.

Brad,
be thankful you chose to purchase this machine from a reputable reseller.
PM will do their best to satisfy you.

Yes i am glade i did, i have bough a few other tools from them with no issues. The situation is compounded because i am in gunsmithing school and have my final project coming up in 2 weeks, that includes machining a 80% lower for an Ar10. And i am stuck because who knows how that will turn out if i cant get this fixed by then. I have already been working with PM for a quite awhile on the issue and getting nowhere. I do have faith they will make it right, its just im pressed for time. I just sent them another email including the pics as directed by the fellow on the phone. I hope they get it soon as they havent responded to my last email i sent on the 17th.

Yes i am glade i did, i have bough a few other tools from them with no issues. The situation is compounded because i am in gunsmithing school and have my final project coming up in 2 weeks, that includes machining a 80% lower for an Ar10. And i am stuck because who knows how that will turn out if i cant get this fixed by then. I have already been working with PM for a quite awhile on the issue and getting nowhere. I do have faith they will make it right, its just im pressed for time. I just sent them another email including the pics as directed by the fellow on the phone. I hope they get it soon as they havent responded to my last email i sent on the 17th.
The machine would need to be seriously messed up to be unable to complete an 80% lower acceptably. I have made one using a $60 harbor freight drill press and a dremel.

Sounds to me like maybe your column is not straight. Is there any way you could get in there with your 1/2 thou DTI mounted to a height gage set on the table?

Then measure the distance to the column over the full height of your height gage.

1) If it's 0 all the way up, I don't know what the problem is. EDIT: <--- It's probably the gib, I suppose. Don't know what else it'd be here.

2) If it's linearly varying with height, your column is straight but not plumb to the table.

3) If it varies nonlinearly with height, you've got a column that isn't straight.

I hope it's not option 3, but that's what it's sounding like to me.

I agree with JRaut. Check the head position variation relative to a precision square on the XY table as illustrated in the video I linked to above. Assuming the gib is finely fit to the machine and properly tightened, that method will tell you if you have a straight column: linear variation and it’s a tram issue, non-linear variation and the column isn’t straight. Check the quill movement is coplanar to the head movement using the same method.

Back