PM727M excessive backlash on X axis

I just had this issue tonight had about .090 of back lash, discovered the nut mounting nuts had worked loose. My machine isn't that old, I'm wondering if I've overtightened the anti-backlash and caused excessive wear ... The best u had it down to, before tonight, was about .009..anyway it's fixed now. I'll price out a replacement but just in case..

Yeah DriveSlayet, I don’t know if you were first owner, but my had all kinds of issues, I finally got FULL x axis DRO working, changing the spindle bearings this week. Everything was loose & sloppy & out of calibration. That lead screw nut took me awhile to figure out, even as people told me that was it, any poking proding didn’t point to that. I’m glad my problem & thread fixing it helped you, it’s the great thing about this place, there is a wealth of knowledge here, that for the better part, really try’s to be patient. No matter the simplicity or complexity, it helps this place hold a large value. I hear PM is on this board, which is great, but I’ve had many phone calls with them, they sure as hell don’t try hard to sell you parts, they point me elsewhere all the time. Is that good or bad? I could go either way.

I am the original owner, but its my first mill so this is certainly a case of i don't know what i don't know. i kept tightening the anti-backlash screw trying to take out the slop until finally by BL jumped up to 90 thou... at that point i started digging, figuring something was wrong... this thread certainly saved me some heartache...

Yup...loose X-nut....damn you PM for always being right. Well, clean everything on the X axis...and new thrust bearings on the way.

View attachment 274316
I am having to do this to my 727 as it is super loose. How did you get the lead screw out? I have taken both ends off from the table and their are keys on each end of lead screw. how do you get those off to slide bearings off? Thanks in advance.

I am having to do this to my 727 as it is super loose. How did you get the lead screw out? I have taken both ends off from the table and their are keys on each end of lead screw. how do you get those off to slide bearings off? Thanks in advance.
Nevermind...I called PM and all I had to do was take the Rapid Feed off and essentially use the hand wheel to crank to the right to expose nut. thx.

Nevermind...I called PM and all I had to do was take the Rapid Feed off and essentially use the hand wheel to crank to the right to expose nut. thx.

Even with loctite my X axis got loose again. It has stayed tight now that I remember to unlock the table before activating power feed. DOH!!!

Back