PM833T Z Axis power feed install question...

LVLAaron

Registered
Registered
Very much a new guy here so pardon any incorrect terminology.

New 833T in the shop. (with a 1440GT on the way)

21-11-13 15-41-21 6251.jpg

I have a Z axis power feed to install, and the instructions might as well be used as earplugs. The instructions say "remove everything" then "install the extension shaft" which is the part in the middle of the below photo.

I'm making some assumptions here. I need to remove the factory geared shaft and install the one that came with the Z axis (photo, left)? The kit also came with a roll pin... I assume that I need to drill that geared shaft so the extension is attached to the geared shaft?

21-11-13 15-08-32 6250.jpg

Half way there. Need to install the feed stops... unfortunately the DRO is installed where they recommend installing the stop bar. :/

21-11-16 17-37-12 6278.jpg

I also have an 833TV and saw your post and thought you might be interested in my solution. I am not a big fan of cables that are moving up and down with the head and spindle. I'm always worried about the chaffing and getting pinched. I've had 2 narrow misses with the gib oil lube line. In addition my Z axis scale is also on the side where the safety stop is supposed to be mounted.

A scrap piece of 1/2" aluminum with at tapered cut mounted to the head unit allows the head to move up and down and the new roller switches
engage the tapered aluminum piece as it moves to the up and down limits. I cut the taper at 0.120" to 0.000" over 3" and positioned the switches to react at the halfway point of the ramp. The switches take about 0.060" of compression to react. Then it's just a matter of removing the supplied switch and soldering in the 2 new switches. I did locate the switches so that they stop the travel about 3/4" from the maximum. I figure I can hand crank it the last few turns whenever I need that last little bit of travel.

The Gib adjustment screws were long enough that I just drilled through holes for them.
The worst part was drilling and tapping 6 holes into cast iron. I used 5mm socket head cap screws.

The roller switches are available from Amazon at $20 each ( a little pricey )

Baomain Limit Switch BM-3112​

This solved the moving cable problem, it was simple to put in, is on the correct side of the machine and it is out of the way.
Hope this idea helps.

Attachments

• Z Axis Limit Swtich.jpg
    Z Axis Limit Swtich.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 142
Back