PM932 CNC Build

Jay - Here's the pictures.

Tom S.

Backside view of the pump and recirc plumbing. The valve in the picture is the recirc/bypass valve. Yes, that's a 1" tube dumping back into the reservoir. This pump puts out something like 650 gal/hr. at 50 psi.
20161101_093018_resized.jpg

Don't look too close at the pump mounting bracket. I set this up quickly to see how well it worked and haven't got back to making a proper mount.
20161101_093027_resized.jpg

A view of the pump discharge piping. Suction line at the bottom and the feed line to the mill coming out of the left side of the tee.
20161101_093045_resized.jpg

I routed the feed line through a hole in the mill stand and up through the column then drilled a hole in the sheet metal panel on the back of the column and ran the feed line to the distribution manifold. You can see the right side nozzle below. You can also see the tee fitting behind the vertical way cover that feeds my wash down garden hose nozzle.
20161101_094558_resized.jpg

Looking at the pump manual it says it is not self priming. Are you using the supplied check valve? Any issues with startup?

Aslo are you switching the pump on/off in Mach3 or just running it constant and using a solenoid to turn the spray nozzles on/off?

I'm using a solid-state relay to switch my current pond pump on/off w/Mach3. It "should" handle this pump......

Reactions: Guv
Looking at the pump manual it says it is not self priming. Are you using the supplied check valve? Any issues with startup?

Aslo are you switching the pump on/off in Mach3 or just running it constant and using a solenoid to turn the spray nozzles on/off?

I'm using a solid-state relay to switch my current pond pump on/off w/Mach3. It "should" handle this pump......

Yes, I'm using the supplied check valve. Had to prime the pump once on initial startup. Haven't had to do it since.

I have an on/off switch mounted on my enclosure next to the door. When I start a run I flip the switch and when done flip it to the off position.

I turn the coolant nozzle valves off when doing a wash down. Besides not having to deal with coolant spraying out of the nozzles it also keeps the coolant from draining back to the reservoir thus keeping the pump primed.

Tom S.

More updates to the machine. With the new enclosure I mounted the computer and monitor to the enclosure frame. The new computer is a Dell Inspiron Micro desktop running windows 10. With only a 32gb HD drive they are not much good except for web surfing and email but it's perfect for a small dedicated windows based machine controller. I found this on fleabay refurbished for about $100. when not in use the keyboard folds up and the whole assembly fold in. The monitor mounting plate and keyboard tray are aluminum sheet and were cutout on the CNC router.

1002.png 1004.png 1005.png 1006.png 1007.png

Next is the revamp of the coolant system. I went with the pump TomS is using. I found a couple threads on another forum where they had installed a whole house filter in the feed line to filter out small particles. With the higher volume pump I thought this might be a good idea. We will see. I'm also going from two spray nozzles to four. Sometimes two does not cover the tool path. I'm still waiting for the additional nozzles before I can test. I'm also going to try a new coolant, KOOL Rite 2290. All the home shop users I have found using it have very favorable reviews. Fingers crossed. I also relocated the mist system to the side for better access to the spindle.

1008.png 1009.png 1011.png 1012.png

After swapping out the original stepper drive and power supply I finally got the 4th axis up and running.

Nothing special to look at. I was going to make a cover for the motor and coupler but I think I will just use a plastic bag. I may swap the stepper for a shorter body stepper and shorten the shaft to make it more compact. As it is now the motor sticks out too much to close the enclosure doors to use flood coolant.

Rotary Table 01.png

What brand and type of angular contact bearings did you use in your spindle? I've started searching for bearings for my spindle but the suffix codes are confusing. I'm trying to find an abec 3 bearing (abec 5 and 7 pricing is through the roof) that will operate at 10000 rpm or higher. Then there are the contact angles, e.g. 15, 20, 29, 40 degrees. Which contact angle did you go with? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks,

Tom S.

I'll see if I can find the order. What size are the bearings? I replaced the bearings on the spindle on my other mill around the same time.

I think it is this bearing. You should verify the size. Same bearing from Amazon.

ABEC-5, 15 deg (15-18 are recommended for mills), resin cage. The data from Nachi says the max RPM for grease is 18,000.

I think it is this bearing. You should verify the size. Same bearing from Amazon.

ABEC-5, 15 deg (15-18 are recommended for mills), resin cage. The data from Nachi says the max RPM for grease is 18,000.

Thanks. You answered my questions.

Tom S.

Back