Pm932m quill removal help

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
Ok I have to remove the quill from my mill to replace the bad spindle. I removed the return spring and thought I could pull the handle out like on a drill press but that isn't working. do I need to remove these 2 screws in the pic B and remove the whole assembly in order to get the quill out also do I need to remove the 3 screws and plate in pic a it doesn't look I need to just don't wanna pull the wrong part and make more work thanks for any help :) 20180518_163429.jpg20180518_163516.jpg

o20180518_163429.jpg20180518_163516.jpgk I have to remove the quill from my mill to replace the bad spindle. I removed the return spring and thought I could pull the handle out like on a drill press but that isn't working. do I need to remove these 2 screws in the pic B and remove the whole assembly in order to get the quill out also do I need to remove the 3 screws and plate in pic a it doesn't look I need to just don't wanna pull the wrong part and make more work thanks for any help :)

Yes, you need to remove the two screws in photo B which allows you to remove the quill downfeed mechanism. You also need to remove the quill anti-rotation pin/screw. You can access this screw through the hole shown on photo A.

I've removed my quill but can't remember if I had to remove the return spring flange (part 85).

Once you've removed these parts the quill should slide out the bottom of the head.

I would for sure talk with Precision Matthews. They sent you a quill and you are expected to replace this by yourself just by guessing how to do it? Hopefully not. I haven’t followed your saga but I think you bought the mill new correct?

oView attachment 267693View attachment 267694k I have to remove the quill from my mill to replace the bad spindle. I removed the return spring and thought I could pull the handle out like on a drill press but that isn't working. do I need to remove these 2 screws in the pic B and remove the whole assembly in order to get the quill out also do I need to remove the 3 screws and plate in pic a it doesn't look I need to just don't wanna pull the wrong part and make more work thanks for any help :)

Did you get a manual with your mill? The exploded view of the head will help you with disassembly.

BTW - I posted to your other thread on quill removal.

Just in case you don't have a manual here's one.

Attachments

• PM-932M_Manual_2014_v9.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 6
I did talk to Matt this morning but once I got to this point and had a question they were closed since they're on the east coast and I'm on the west I didn't feel like having to take the head off to send to them to do it that would be 10 times more work than pulling the quill

Cool thanks I took out the anti rotation screw just wanted to check

Any tips on removing the spindle and bearings from the quill ??? is it a whack with a mallet to remove fit or am I going to need to use a shop press ???

Any tips on removing the spindle and bearings from the quill ??? is it a whack with a mallet to remove fit or am I going to need to use a shop press ???

First you need to remove the bearing lock nut. Then you can either use a press to remove the spindle or a soft faced mallet to remove the spindle. If using a mallet be gentle. When I disassembled mine I lightly polished the upper bearing spindle area to get a sliding fit. Mine had a slight interference fit. A sliding fit makes it easier to adjust bearing preload. Are you replacing the bearings or re-using the existing bearings?

They sent new bearings. I put the lower bearing on last night I didn't feel like moving stuff to use my press it's also to heavy to move the lower support since I'm recovering from back surgery and not supposed to lift more than 10 pounds. lol and my helper just had shoulder surgery so I've got a lil creative moving stuff around trying to get this done.20180519_152907.jpgI just put the spindle in the freezer and made a lil aluminum adapter that fits the top of the bottom bearing and the bottom of the top bearing slides into a Pipe all it took was a lil bit in the freezer and a lil tap and they went right together :)

Back