PM940M cnc conversion

I have no plans at present to change over to a high speed spindle so going slower will be just fine.

Good luck with that. :grin:

I'm also using the Nema 42 4200 oz stepper on my PM-932 conversion. I can set the Z rapids faster than I am comfortable with. IMHO rapid Z moves with a dovetail column mill while machining are hard on the machine if the head is not counter balanced. I tried running some 3D profiles at high speed and was afraid I was going to damage something with all the pounding and jerking the head was doing.

Jay,
I'm a little confused. If I run at slower feed rates and slower rapids I would think that the pounding would be at a minimum. If I'm wrong please send me in the right direction. Thanks.

John

John, sorry for the confusion.

Running what I would consider normal feed rates for that type of mill are fine. I was responding to Jim's comments about limited speed with that servo. My point being in real practice you can run the big stepper motor faster than the machine can handle so no worries on using it.

Jay

No Problem Jay. This is going to be a quite a learning curve for me but it is time to bring at least one of my machines into the 21 century. Be prepared for some real dumb questions. Thanks.

John

Back