Pneumatic power draw bar on PM932M-PDF

Ratz

Active User
Registered
Pneumatic power draw bar in the picture is just another item I could not live without. Seeing all different designs on the Internet, I decided to build my own from the scrap around the shop.

Aluminum, ½” W-1 drill rod, bronze bushings and Derlin (Acetal) bushings for the swivel.
<O:p</O:p

The rods are threaded right into the top casting since I had the top off to replace the spindle seals. I did a lot of dumb things in my life, but I would not attempt to do it with the top on.

The new draw bar is from Enco.

Cheers,
Radek

Drawbar Tool.jpg

Drawbar Tool.jpg

Looks great. I too will be building a pneumatic setup when my PM932PDF shows up. Great job.

How do you like the 932 so far? Anything you don't like about it? Does it appear to be well built and rigid?

Thanks.

Mike.

Looks great. I too will be building a pneumatic setup when my PM932PDF shows up. Great job.

How do you like the 932 so far? Anything you don't like about it? Does it appear to be well built and rigid?

Thanks.

Mike.

Thanks Mike. Once you have one you will wonder whay it is not a standard equpment.

I am working on an answer for your other question. Should be ready soon.

Cheers

Thanks.

Mike.

Mike, I answered your question in the new thread called "PM-932M-PDF Experience" and hope it is not too harsh. After all the work I ended up with a nice machine and have no regrets.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=22195

Cheers,
Radek

Last edited:
Nice build, Sure as heck beats my spring-and-rope method! One of these days I'll do mine right though.

Nice build, Sure as heck beats my spring-and-rope method! One of these days I'll do mine right though.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is spring and rope method. I think all people have ingenious ideas. Thank you for the compliment. It works like butter.</SPAN>

Cheers,</SPAN>
Radek </SPAN>

Hi Radek,
thanks for sharing your power drawbar build. I too have a PM932-PDF that I received about two weeks ago. As it turns out, I've had other obligations so haven't had much time on the mill yet. I am a complete novice when it comes to metal working machinery so I read with interest your description of the trials you went through to get your mill working the way you'd like it to.

As far as I can tell without taking things apart, I don't have the contamination or gears binding in the PDF gearbox that you encountered. If I get brave enough at some point I may take the cover off and take a look.

You out mentioned the difficulty tramming the head without an adjustment mechanism to fine tune things. I share your frustration. I will be interested to see what you come up with. I would also be interested in any details you'd like to share about the power drawbar design and build. I have the same issue that DarkZero reported with his original drawbar. The adjustment nut is several degrees out of square and very noticeable. I guess it works OK but it totally bugs me every time I use it so I am going to do something about it when I get a chance. I am leaning toward the power drawbar route. Is it a reasonable project for a beginner?

I should probably mention that I have ordered a PM1236 that should arrive in the next few weeks so I will have access to a lathe too. Anyway thanks for sharing your nice build and the story on your mill. It has given me some confidence that while these machines are not perfect, they are capable of precision with a little effort.

Back