Pocket scribe "for the machinist who has everything"

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
I use a scribe a lot. I keep several around the shop. I saw one on the internet the other day and new I had to have one, so I made my version. It is about 5 1/2 inches long when open and 3 inches closed. It is made of brass and the point is hardened drill rod. It is made entirely on the lathe and would make a good beginner's project that is useful. I'm making a couple more for machinist friends for Christmas. I have a print on my web site but you really don't need one all the dimensions can be made to suit you. The pictures shoul tell you enough to whip one up in a few hours.

Pocket scribe.jpg
Pocket scribe 2.jpg
Completed pocket scribe.jpg
Parts for scribe.jpg

Mark Frazier

Pocket scribe.jpg Pocket scribe 2.jpg Completed pocket scribe.jpg Parts for scribe.jpg

I hate to say this, but I'm a little lost on how this thing goes together... it's a wonderful piece of work for sure.

Looks to me the step on the scribe locates it and stops it from pushing in. Then the point goes through the hole on the end and it's tightened down.

When the point is flipped inside, that step fills that hole

I think

Nice work, might have to try that myself. What material is the business end?

Nice work!

I don't like any of my scribes, I inherited a box with a Lifkin and Starrett scribe. The lufkin is too big and the starrett is too skinny. I'll have to give your idea a try!

Also, a piece of HSS and a pin vise work as makeshift scribers.

Looks to me the step on the scribe locates it and stops it from pushing in. Then the point goes through the hole on the end and it's tightened down.

When the point is flipped inside, that step fills that hole

I think

You are absolutely correct. I love this thing cause I can carry it in my pocket and I use one a lot. I knew when I saw it , I had to make one.

Pocket scribe print.jpg Here is the print for anyone interested. Notice the dimensions are general. That is because they can be any size you want within reason. There are only a few dimensions that have to match and we are all smart enough to figure them out. Just make it the size you want and match the important parts. that is what I did.

Mark Frazier

Pocket scribe print.jpg

Back