Poll: What Color have you painted a machine tool?

What color have you chosen to paint a machine tool?

• Yellow

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Red

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Blue

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Purple

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Green

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Orange

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Black

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • White

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters
When I started on my lathe, I wasn't sure if I would repaint the stand as well. So I did a color match so the lathe itself would match the stand. It's the South Bend greenish gray from the early sixties. Depending on the light, it might look gray, or maybe slightly green. When I went to get the paint, a gallon didn't cost that much more than a quart, so I went that route and painted the whole thing anyway. Should I call it green?

FrontViewWide.png

Rust oleum slate grey:

ff678a253b903d846f52447bbc7cdea8.jpg

8e7c98831d4dba9da10775b037cabab4.jpg

(As you can see, I’ve not quite finished painting the mill!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I painted a 12" Whipp shaper what I thought was Caterpillar yellow, it turned out to be much brighter than that. Painted a 16" G&E shaper and Index mill dull boring grey. Started painting a milling machine a light blue, it's still in progress and will all wind up that color some day. I've got a Logan lathe I'm going to paint a bit darker blue that the mill, and another sister mill to the project one that's going to get the light blue as well. Generally I will paint a machine that I expect to sell grey and ones that I expect to keep other colors. It's kind of like painting your house interior white before selling. Of course, I still have the grey machines and I've sold the yellow shaper.

Right now, I'm repainting the worn panels on my Nardini lathe. The color is Ral 6011, AKA Reseda Green. It is a common color on machines. My Rong Fu came from the factory in Reseda Green. It's nice, it brightens up with red trim without looking like Christmas. Green is neutral to the eyes for good focus and detail.

I also have used machine grey, it's very suitable. I did some Atlas parts in cast iron grey engine enamel. Great paint, but too dark for machinery.

I painted a 12" Whipp shaper what I thought was Caterpillar yellow, it turned out to be much brighter than that. Painted a 16" G&E shaper and Index mill dull boring grey. Started painting a milling machine a light blue, it's still in progress and will all wind up that color some day. I've got a Logan lathe I'm going to paint a bit darker blue that the mill, and another sister mill to the project one that's going to get the light blue as well. Generally I will paint a machine that I expect to sell grey and ones that I expect to keep other colors. It's kind of like painting your house interior white before selling. Of course, I still have the grey machines and I've sold the yellow shaper.
Just seems the smart way to go to me.

Machines you’re planning to sell should look stock or at least what someone would expect it to look like if its in good shape or lightly used.

But machines you plan to keep, well…indulge your “artistic tendencies” to your hearts content!

Machinery gray here. Shaper and mill.

It's a Reseda Green extravaganza! Once again, the code is RAL #6011. You know you want it in your shop.

180753e.jpeg
1003_3.jpg
4004708.1601438771__.jpg
bauer-kastenwagen-kw-et-400-lackiert-ral-6011-resedagruen-4438-04-0000-4-4052462041837-1.jpg
1753_1.jpg
1757_1.jpg
Vespa-Farben-V50-RAL-6011-Resedagruen.png
067450-000.jpg
PSM-950.jpg

Back