POLL......What do you think of Starrett?

What do you think of the "modern Starrett" instruments?

• Super high quality at a reasonable price.

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Super high quality but to pricy

Votes: 40 48.2%
  • Middle of the road quality but priced ok.

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Middle of the road quality and way overpriced.

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • Never liked them, never will.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Even China makes better stuff than this!

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
I don't know about you guys but so far I find my poll interesting, for the few that responded. I expected Starrett to get much higher marks despite my own opinion.

Thanks. Just what I needed to hear. :encourage:

It really wasn't that long ago. This would've been sometime in the early 90's if I've got my time frame right.
I believe you are correct but I just wanted to bust someone's stones and the wife would beat me up if I did it to her.;)

I don't know about you guys but so far I find my poll interesting, for the few that responded. I expected Starrett to get much higher marks despite my own opinion.
The same could be said about 100+ American corporations who chose greed over quality, along with the millions who support their position. When we think of the big rigs rolling down the major highways of America do we think Kenworth or Peterbilt Romania, Bulgaria? The least we could do is give Starrett credit for attempting to have some sense of quality control. The entire economy of the eastern seaboard was decimated by Americans willing to by cheap imports. Name the tool manufacturers who closed their doors and moved to China in order to support the stock holders. Most of the people who lost their jobs were machinists, not Hobby-Machinists, but machinist who supported their families by making a decent living making quality tools and were proud of it.

You're OLD! :grin:
I am old, too, and so are my nice old tools, Starrett, B & S, Lufkin, Union Tool, and others. I got them much more recently from the estates of other geezers who passed on or gave it up, cleaned them up, checked and calibrated them, and put them back to work. I find that a win, win for everyone. Seriously, I find the old tools bearing the names or initials of men who have passed on to have much more soul than tools bought new, no matter how expensive or shiny or how 'top brand' they might be considered by others. I smile more when I pick up the well used old tools, and think about those old boys...

If I was an apprentice I would also look for used tools. Nothing says novice more than shiny new tools in pristine boxes that do not show any usage.

If I was an apprentice I would also look for used tools. Nothing says novice more than shiny new tools in pristine boxes that do not show any usage.

Thanks for the chuckle.I knew he was using his Dad's tools who also happened to be the business agent, but me being me had to ask; So exactly how long have you been an apprentice?

I bought a Starret machinists level 3o yrs ago, model 133A, said made in Brazil on the box label. Put this on a surface plate a couple yrs ago and discovered it had warped. Its still in the box.
I ended up buying an accurate bubble level and made my own. I don't trust anyones tools anymore until I verify them in one way or another.

Just about all of my stuff is used. For mic's I always liked Browne and Sharpe much more than Starrett. For me, they just have a nicer feel. Now, I'm talking about the older Swiss ones here. My 6" calipers are TESA. and I love them, they are the best dial calipers I have ever picked up. I am always on the lookout for more of them. I have an old set of Lufkin inside Mic's they are fairly nice. For indicators, I have many different ones. Give me an old indicator any day over the new ones. Not many companies make good indicators anymore. To find a good "new" indicator, in my opinion, you have to go Swiss. They are big bucks but they are the best you can get. Compac, Intrepid and the Swiss "Best Test" under the Browne and Sharp name are some of the best. Again, in my opinion.

I bought a Starret machinists level 3o yrs ago, model 133A, said made in Brazil on the box label. Put this on a surface plate a couple yrs ago and discovered it had warped. Its still in the box.
I ended up buying an accurate bubble level and made my own. I don't trust anyones tools anymore until I verify them in one way or another.
That sucks. Not joking here, I wonder if they would take it back? I'm thinking it was Warped from the beginning. Even if it wasn't something like that should never warp. If not, could you maybe lapp it?

Back