POLL......What do you think of Starrett?

What do you think of the "modern Starrett" instruments?

• Super high quality at a reasonable price.

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Super high quality but to pricy

Votes: 40 48.2%
  • Middle of the road quality but priced ok.

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Middle of the road quality and way overpriced.

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • Never liked them, never will.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Even China makes better stuff than this!

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
I feel as though Starrett has good tools, but I'm not a huge fan of them. As with any other company, some tools are going to be better than others, but I use their OD mics regularly at work and don't care much for them. Not that they aren't high quality. I just don't like the feel of them.

I just scored a couple of really nice old lufkin mics in their original wooden boxes, very nice indeed. And one older starret mic too.

My above being said about indicators. I have in fact had good luck with "Mahr Federal" indicators. I have a couple that are new in the box, I do not know how old they are however. They are accurate and very repeatable. This is NOT the "Federal" only name. There is a big difference in my opinion. I think this is kind of an unknown gem in the indicator world. If you try to buy a Mahr-Federal new, they are pretty expensive. However, I have found them brand new at auction on E-bay (hardly if ever used) and they usually go cheap, really cheap. I'm not sure why, maybe people see the "Federal" name and figure it's junk (rightfully so) but from what I has seen and own, there is a big difference. Heck, they even weigh twice as much. I really like them for the money.

My above being said about indicators. I have in fact had good luck with "Mahr Federal" indicators. I have a couple that are new in the box, I do not know how old they are however. They are accurate and very repeatable. This is NOT the "Federal" only name. There is a big difference in my opinion. I think this is kind of an unknown gem in the indicator world. If you try to buy a Mahr-Federal new, they are pretty expensive. However, I have found them brand new at auction on E-bay (hardly if ever used) and they usually go cheap, really cheap. I'm not sure why, maybe people see the "Federal" name and figure it's junk (rightfully so) but from what I has seen and own, there is a big difference. Heck, they even weigh twice as much. I really like them for the money.
Why do you consider Old federal junk? I have bestest and federal.. my 1/10 thou federals measure up to my bestest
So what makes them junk ?

The same could be said about 100+ American corporations who chose greed over quality, along with the millions who support their position. When we think of the big rigs rolling down the major highways of America do we think Kenworth or Peterbilt Romania, Bulgaria? The least we could do is give Starrett credit for attempting to have some sense of quality control. The entire economy of the eastern seaboard was decimated by Americans willing to by cheap imports. Name the tool manufacturers who closed their doors and moved to China in order to support the stock holders. Most of the people who lost their jobs were machinists, not Hobby-Machinists, but machinist who supported their families by making a decent living making quality tools and were proud of it.

And of course, when American corporations sent manufacturing overseas, they also stopped buying the tools needed to manufacture things. I imagine this had a much greater impact on Starret and other tool companies
than the buying habits of a few Hobby Machinists.

I am old, too, and so are my nice old tools, Starrett, B & S, Lufkin, Union Tool, and others. I got them much more recently from the estates of other geezers who passed on or gave it up, cleaned them up, checked and calibrated them, and put them back to work. I find that a win, win for everyone. Seriously, I find the old tools bearing the names or initials of men who have passed on to have much more soul than tools bought new, no matter how expensive or shiny or how 'top brand' they might be considered by others. I smile more when I pick up the well used old tools, and think about those old boys...

But having said that, we are all complicit in this. How many of us have tools made overseas in our tool boxes? Probably almost all of us. And they don't have to be cheap tools. I have Mitutoyo calipers, and an older Tesa
micrometer in my box, and they are hardly junk. And, NOT to pick on you Bob, because I like the old tools too, but when we buy used tools in preference to new, we "hurt" domestic companies like Starret just as
much as if we bought something from HF.

And, of course during the years when Starret and other American tool companies were going strong, (say the late 40's and the 50's), there wasn't any significant overseas competition at all and Europe and Asia were still
digging themselves out of the rubble of WWII. But, we all know how that played out. How many of us have a Honda in the driveway? Maybe companies like Starret will have make sure they don't make the same mistake
the the domestic car companies made: letting the bean counters focus on cost above all else, and forgetting that to compete, a company still has to make products that people want to buy. It took GM management
several decades to figure that one out. I work for a company like that, and the bean counters are slowly, but relentlessly damaging our product and our reputation. But, the senior exec's
are getting massive bonuses as a result, so it's all good...

Last edited:
Why do you consider Old federal junk? I have bestest and federal.. my 1/10 thou federals measure up to my bestest
I think there might be new indicators out there labeled Federal, which are not from the same source as the classic Federal indicators, and are not the same quality. I do agree that the older Federal indicators are good quality.

And of course, when American corporations sent manufacturing overseas, they also stopped buying the tools needed to manufacture things. I imagine this had a much greater impact on Starret and other tool companies
than the buying habits of a few Hobby Machinists.

But having said that, we are all complicit in this. How many of us have tools made overseas in our tool boxes? Probably almost all of us. And they don't have to be cheap tools. I have Mitutoyo calipers, and an older Tesa
micrometer in my box, and they are hardly junk. And, NOT to pick on you Bob, because I like the old tools too, but when we buy used tools in preference to new, we "hurt" domestic companies like Starret just as
much as if we bought something from HF.

And, of course during the years when Starret and other American tool companies were going strong, (say the late 40's and the 50's), there wasn't any significant overseas competition at all and Europe and Asia were still
digging themselves out of the rubble of WWII. But, we all know how that played out. How many of us have a Honda in the driveway? Maybe companies like Starret will have make sure they don't make the same mistake
the the domestic car companies made: letting the bean counters focus on cost above all else, and forgetting that to compete, a company still has to make products that people want to buy. It took GM management
several decades to figure that one out. I work for a company like that, and the bean counters are slowly, but relentlessly damaging our product and our reputation. But, the senior exec's
are getting massive bonuses as a result, so it's all good...
No offense taken. I do not buy in to the "consumption" scheme that fuels the world today. If I can make something last forever, I do. If I can repair, re-purpose, or rehab old stuff, I will, unashamed, in fact quite proud of it. I live incredibly cheap compared to those who 'need' the latest and greatest (ha!) stuff. Wealth can be gained by taking from others or by not needing to take from others. I choose the latter where possible. Sorry, I am getting off topic here...

I won't vote in the pole because I don't have any "new" Starrett tools. I do have some very old Starretts and some brand new old stock tools. In general I think these older tools are very good quality and priced accordingly for the time. Pricy, but when isn't something of quality expensive? I can't comment on their tools of recent manufacture.
Regarding the older stuff, they just have a nice feel to them. I have a few calipers, some inexpensive General and a few old Starretts. They both do the same thing but the Starret ones just feel better in the hand.

I think one of Starrett's problems in todays world is that they still try to make every kind of machinist tool instead of concentrating on a few tools that they can make well. Look at their catalog,they make everything and I am not sure on some of the items how many that they even sell. I have one of their electronic calipers and the thing is junk compared to my Mitutoyo. I don't have a problem with paying for a high priced quality tool, but it better be the best out there.

I was talking about the new Federal indicators. Not the old ones. Old USA made indicators were, for the most part, decent quality. I have old Federals, Ames even an old Gem still going strong. You're not going to find that quality in those names anymore. It's all outsourced and mostly to Asian countries like China.

Back