Pope P-32 Spindle - How to disassemble

You may need one of these:
I have one but have not needed it. There is enough space between the rotor and the bearing retaining plates to rest the rotor on the two 3/4 thick steel plates of the press. The dented edge of the rotor was there when I got it. I originally assumed it was done by someone who did'nt know what they were doing (perhaps not unlike me).

Attachments

• 20220721_080526.jpg
    20220721_080526.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220721_080547.jpg
    20220721_080547.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220721_080553.jpg
    20220721_080553.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 18
I have one but have not needed it. There is enough space between the rotor and the bearing retaining plates to rest the rotor on the two 3/4 thick steel plates of the press. The dented edge of the rotor was there when I got it. I originally assumed it was done by someone who did'nt know what they were doing (perhaps not unlike me).
Hmmm...looks like a good set-up. You've checked to make sure there are not sets screws holding it on? I used to have a press like that and it was a 2 stage pressure. Is yours a hand pump of pump power? Mine was a pump and it had a hand pump handle and when you pumped it it advanced fast until it touched the part and got tight, then a secondary piston in the hand pump exerted 30 tons of pressure. One of my guys came up to me and said the press needed oil...? He said it seems to slip when it gets tight. I had to show him it was still moving but slow and under pressure. Maybe your is like that too?

The way you have the armature setup in the press begs the questions of where are you trying to separate. With how you have the armature setup all you can do is press the shaft out of the armature. That setup will not free the spindle.
From what I can see in your first pic is you want the armature on the bottom of the press plates. Spindle housing flange (largest OD) should be on top of press plates. Then press which would press the shaft tapered end. This procedure should press the back bearing out. Then you’d flip the housing and press the wheel side bearing along with the thrust bearing.
PB blaster is a great penetrate recommend it let it soak.

@Richard King 2 The press is as you describe. I used the hand lever until it would no longer move. I definitely was not feeling good about that much axial load.
@Cadillac I have applied an axial force just as you described. The only shaft movement occurs when the spindle assembly is supported on the housing flange (rotor-end up), and a force is applied to the top of shaft (downward). The shaft moves until the rotor hits the bearing retainer. I quite agree with you that every observable aspect suggests the shaft should be forced out 180 degrees from the orientation I described above. But, since I have no way of knowing which is correct, I've been slowly adding force as I try each direction.

The bearings have to be seated against a shoulder. If you press the way you are your pressing into a shoulder in the housing, and if it is a two piece spindle your pressing it tighter.
The only reason why I don’t think it’s a two piece shaft is what’s supporting the weight of the motor? The spindle housing bolts are what mounts the spindle/motor to the column correct? If two piece the motor would separate once the spindle got warm. Am I missing something here?

I've halfway wondered if someone (inappropriately?) used retaining compound on the rotor. Seen it done plenty of times with bearings. The only way I know to beat Loctite 680, for example, is a lot of heat.

I will put together some pics that might be helpful in our discussion. Probably won't be until tomorrow morning, though.
I appreciate everyone's help.

For some reason, my replies by phone do not register. I reply in the evening by phone and then call it a day. Next morning I check it, and see nothig.

I looked tonight and found some more info. I typed Pope grinder spindle with intregal motor and found some drawings and pictures. https://www.bing.com/search?q=pope+...aqs=edge..69i57.46945j0j4&FORM=ANAB01&PC=HCTS

You may want to call Grinders Clearing house and see if they have a print of a Pope.

I found two threads on PM about the pope spindle. From the two pictures I e found that spindle is one piece. The post talks about having to press the armature off to get to the rear bearing.
Another YouTube video shows the spindle fully disassembled at a rebuild shop and the spindle was the length of the motor and spindle.

Attachments

• 1AB17205-E145-4272-921D-393205A11616.png
    1AB17205-E145-4272-921D-393205A11616.png
    558.3 KB · Views: 13
I found two threads on PM about the pope spindle. From the two pictures I e found that spindle is one piece. The post talks about having to press the armature off to get to the rear bearing.
Another YouTube video shows the spindle fully disassembled at a rebuild shop and the spindle was the length of the motor and spindle.
That picture / drawing Cad shows is in the top set of photos I linked to in my last post at 11:27 I think the PT Blaster spray or by a 2 gallons of it and soak it for a week and now and then vibrate it every day with a lead or brass hammer. Also if you have hat double stage press you need to get brave and pump it a few more pumps. Looking at the first set of your photos there looks like you didn't clean off some crud. You should clean off every surface to be sure there isn't a sets or double set screws under the crud.

I was also thinking if those fan fins are uneven or bent you may want to chuck the spindle up in a lathe and kiss the bottom of them or the other side as it looks swedged and uneven so they all touch at the same time on the 3/4 " plates or use your bearing splitter plate flat side against them. IF not sent the spindle to a pro and have them disassemble it for you. have them quote doing the complete job too, then decide what to do. I still say to bite the bullet and have them rebuild it. Your difficulty here is obvious your not working in the right direction!

Back