Popular Mechanics (old) machining projects; reliable?

ericc

Active User
Registered
Hi. Now that Google archives and links old copies of Popular Mechanics, it seems that a lot of web searches that are machining related hit project articles. Many of these articles are interesting and entertaining, but I wonder if they are reliable. When I was a kid, I heard a lot of criticisms about them and there was some doubt that any were really made. Some of them seem a little outlandish. I tried searching the forum and did not seem to find hits either way. I have never tried building any of the projects, since they are kind of complicated. There usually is a photo, so there must be one of them, but it isn't like a Youtube video. Has anybody had any positive experiences with a Popular Mechanics project? Thanks!

I built a garden mulcher from an old lawn mower by them and it works pretty well.
I still use it for chopping up my compost but dont forget when those plans were written safety was considered a case of common sense so be aware of that.
I've been meaning to build their auto hacksaw but too many other jobs in the way.

I remember Mad Magazine showing how to make your own jet engine with an old Electrolux vacuum cleaner, and how to make rivets by cutting the heads off nails. I did not try these.

Why not? But use your own judgment of the plans. If you see something that you think is useful to you, give it a try and redesign as needed to fit your needs.

I built a couple boomerangs using plans from them. I got lots of walking in afterwards....:rolleyes:

-frank
I remember those plans. My father built a couple back when Eisenhower was president. Maybe his first term.

Yikes, I didn’t make them quite that long ago! I was only born at the tail end of Diefenbaker and the beginning of Pearson :)
(that’d be JFK and LBJ for you)

-frank

One reason I was asking was that there seemed to be a weak part of the design, and I can't possibly see how this would work. It is a plan for a rear toolpost for a South Bend lathe. The problem is that it is positively restrained from being forced downwards, but not upwards. There is just a thin piece of sheet metal holding it down. From what I understand about rear parting toolposts, most of the force is upwards.

One reason I was asking was that there seemed to be a weak part of the design, and I can't possibly see how this would work. It is a plan for a rear toolpost for a South Bend lathe. The problem is that it is positively restrained from being forced downwards, but not upwards. There is just a thin piece of sheet metal holding it down. From what I understand about rear parting toolposts, most of the force is upwards.

I have not seen the project, but if you don't think it will work for you then you shouldn't build it. I would not assume that just because it is published that it is a viable project. Today there would be a ''Use at your own risk'' type warning on it.

Back