Portable Band Saw blades?

Takdashark

Registered
Registered
I have a Milwaukee Deep Throat setup on a Swag Off Road table and I love it, it’s my go to for most quick cuts. It’s not that accurate obviously, but I’m usually cutting something that going in the lathe or the mill anyway.

I was wondering with other using a similar setup use for blades. I’ve trued Milwaukee, Lenox, and Morse. From 10-18 Tpi. I feel like they don’t last very long though.

I have a piece of unknown 3” bar, it has to be either tool steel or a large pin from a machine. I tried cutting a chunk off and it ate the blade in two minutes, went slow, tried cutting oil, smoked several blades until I gave up.

For the sake of moving forward I tried a 4-1/2” grinder with a cutoff wheel and that got a little further, but not much.

I’m out of room, I mean to the point when my Heavy 10 and Bridgeport are under my Mustang that on the lift. So a larger machine with a auto down feed is not in the cards at the moment.

Thank you!

Taki,

Are they bimetal blades ? Did you give it the file test first ? If the file skates your gona have probs w/saw blades.

Hi,

Yes they are bi-metal blades. And yes, unfortunately a file skates right over it. It is certainly a very hard material. I don't know if I could even get anywhere trying to anneal it being 3" in dia.

Throw it in the fire place when starting it ,get it hot over nite and let it cool in the ash, worth a shot

When you say, "went slow, tried cutting oil, smoked several blades until I gave up.", I'm assuming your saw has two speeds and you had it set on the slow speed. Sometimes that is not slow enough. I use a Variac on my saw which is a similar setup as yours. I can crank the speed down to a crawl but usually for tough materials I set the Variac at 70% to 80% with the saw in low range. My blades last for months. Now if you are trying to cut a hardened pin then I would go with dlane's suggestion.

Correct, it has a variable speed, I’m unaware of the RPM’s. Milwaukee lists 0-350 SFM on their site.

I may try throwing it in the fire place actually, didn’t think of that. Thanks!

On a separate note- Does anyone have any experience with the Femi Hem Benchtop band saw that http://www.trick-tools.com/Femi-NG160ABS-Benchtop-Semi-Auto-Mitering-Bandsaw-NG160ABS-7884 sells.

It’s footprint won’t really take up more space on my bench where my current setup is. The space behind it currently is unused anyway! It’s not cheap, so some real world feedback would be nice.

Thanks folks!

Correct, it has a variable speed, I’m unaware of the RPM’s. Milwaukee lists 0-350 SFM on their site.

I may try throwing it in the fire place actually, didn’t think of that. Thanks!

On a separate note- Does anyone have any experience with the Femi Hem Benchtop band saw that http://www.trick-tools.com/Femi-NG160ABS-Benchtop-Semi-Auto-Mitering-Bandsaw-NG160ABS-7884 sells.

It’s footprint won’t really take up more space on my bench where my current setup is. The space behind it currently is unused anyway! It’s not cheap, so some real world feedback would be nice.

Thanks folks!

Big price tag on that saw.

Yeah it is. Thats why is really like to someone (that has nothing to gain) say the price is justified if your looking for a bench top band saw that’s capable, reliable, and has some degree of accuracy.

Back