Porter Cable B9 6x54 Belt Sander - Cast Iron

coolidge

Active User
Registered
I picked up this Porter Cable B9 6x54 belt sander off Craigslist today. Apparently the "B" is for BIG lol. We had to disassemble it in pieces to move it.

b94.jpg

b91.jpg

b92.jpg

I've been watching for one for awhile. First one like that I ever saw. Most are made with side disc also. This I like she's a perfect machine. Good luck I'm a bit jealous . Did you get the work table?

No I will need to fab the work table its missing. Not sure what HP the motor is, its a Master Electric Co. but the motor plate is missing. It does start with my 5hp RPC. Runs smooth and coasts forever on the work bench, didn't even jerk on start up. $300 plus the guys gave me 5 brand new belts. Pretty good condition, I just wiped it down with some mineral spirits to clean. Some light surface rust here and there. Two speed via dual pulleys of different sizes.

That is one heck of a belt sander. Sure don't make them like that anymore!
Nice score!

Oh that giant cast iron motor is only...1hp lmao! Here's an ad for one of the earlier models before Porter Cable purchased them.

b95.jpg

I also own a B-9 ( minus the dust collector; they usually are broken or lost) and am quite fond of it, although having the motor mount in the front is a little awkward. Porter Cable made excellent tools, both handheld and stationary , sanders being one of their strong suits. If you have any tracking issues that the roller adjustment doesn't correct, the upper roller arm on the B-9 can be rotated to line up the roller parallel with the sanding platen.
I can post a photo of my work table if it helps.
-James Huston

Sure James would love to see your work table. I have the belt tracking fine, the previous owner I'm guessing didn't know how to adjust it. They had a shiny new belt on it when I went to check it out, they turned it on and it destroyed the belt in like 10 seconds.

Back