Portman Machine Co

abrasivemike

Grinder
Registered
I have a vertical spindle rotary surface grinder with a 12" magnetic chuck, a 8" cortland segment wheel with a 7.5hp motor, coollant tank and pump in tyhe base. It was made by the Portman Machine Co. I can't find any info on this company or this machine. Does anyone know anything about what I have? Thanks, 1abasivemike

Sounds like a small Blanchard grinder . Does the head swing on this machine you have ?

The rotary magnetic chuck is in a fixed position, the weel head is on a slide that goes over the magnet and locks in position manually and feeds down onto the work. It ran and did some precision work years ago, but has been sitting for a decade now. Age has caught up with me, time to give up, but selling an American machine tool that even the internet has no info on is near impossible. Wish me luck. Thanks, Mike

This isn’t going to help you much for your specific machine but I did scrape up this one image for an eBay listing of an optical comparator. Same company, and the seller was guessing around 1940’s for vintage.

-frank

003A0487-BE4B-4D32-B4AC-69F710629DF7.png

Mike , that does sound like a mini Blanchard grinder ! :encourage:

It's all in the marketing, " Unique! Precision from a time when things were built right. Made by patriots, are you man enough to own this singular example of fine American craftsmanship? " Bridges for sale also, viewing by appointment only. I'd have it my shop. Mike

Is your grinder similar to an Arter, but with vertical spindle?
1622286249553.png

Last edited:
Pictures? I would like to see it.

Back