possible blown motor on 9x20 lathe

Switch? That's what I'd look at if one direction works differently than the other.

Motor definately cactus.
Cannot find a new motor with a 14mm shaft. It seems the regs insist a 3/4hp motor hust have a 19mm shaft.
Would a 1/2hp motor work ok? Would it have enough power?

G'Day Sav,
Ow yar goin mate?
do you have enough meat in the pulley to bore it to 19mm? or have access to another lathe or mill to bore the pulley?

i had to bore my 1236 1.5hp 19mm motor pulley to accept a 22mm shaft on the transplant 3hp motor.
as a thought, maybe you could do the same or possibly fabricate a new pulley from other materials if need be, Bob's yer uncle :)

Last edited:
G'day Mike, She's apples mate.
unfortunately there is insufficient meat on the pulley.
If I bore it to 19mm then the keyway required removes a section of teeth on the little toothed pulley.
Without a keyway there is just enough meat left but no way to anchor the pulley.
Hare and forbes who supplied the lathe can supply a replacement for $350 and a 3-4 month wait. W H A T ????????
I would really like to use a VFD and a 3phase motor but I dont have the knowledge to do all that.

the VFD and 3 phase conversion sounds daunting, but don't let that stop you!
the units are quite easy to set up for the most part.

i heard that regular folk are not supposed to do their own electrical work Down Under, is that true?

I just checked my Grizzly G4000. It's also a 3/4HP. Depending on what you cut (size, material, depth of cut), you might get away with a ½ horse - but beware of Chinese hoses!

I was going to suggest you try to see if Grizzly could help you. Their parts people pretty good (don't know if they'd ship to OZ). Unfortunately, the replacement motor for the G4000 is 110 volts only:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g4000/parts

I guess you might still want to give them a call or email (techsupport@grizzly.com ... 570-546-9663). Maybe they have a dual voltage motor available. Wish I could offer more help, but I don't know what else to suggest.

PS - I've converted both a 12x24 lathe and an RF-30 clone mill to 3 phase motors with VFDs (single phase 230 V AC input). It's actually pretty straightforward and easy to do. If you can find a dealer who sells both motors and VFDs, he can probably provide good phone support.

i heard that regular folk are not supposed to do their own electrical work Down Under, is that true?

Correct, nor plumbing but I have a couple of tame leccys.
I have also thought of getting the 3/4hp with a 19mm shaft and turning it down to 14mm on a mates lathe as being the easiest and cheapest option.

Correct, nor plumbing but I have a couple of tame leccys.
I have also thought of getting the 3/4hp with a 19mm shaft and turning it down to 14mm on a mates lathe as being the easiest and cheapest option.
turning the motor shaft was going to be my next suggestion!:D

Just for kicks I filed and sanded the centrifugal switch points because I could see a bit of arcing on them.
Put the motor back and blow me down it works. Now thats a cheap fix.
Started making a pin spanner for the spindle for a test, heavy interrupted cut, no problems.
Runs in reverse with half nuts engaged no problems.
Although I'm certain its noisier than before so I think I will get the 3/4 Hp and turn the shaft down so I can have the replacement waiting.
I would like to go the VFD with speed control but I really dont want all the hassle with sorting it out. (and the expense)

Congratulations on your fix! And now you have a lathe you can use to repair the lathe ;)

Back