Possible Grizzly DF-1237G Restoration, Oil Seals?

kb58

Registered
Registered
In the late 1990s, I bought a then-used Grizzly DF-1237G (apparently the same as a G1003) 12 x 37 lathe. It's served me well, but now a few things have evolved such that I'm considering rebuilding it - if I can find the parts - or selling it and moving on. The main problem is that the gearbox oil seals have always leaked, dumping the entire gearbox contents into the stand over a period of just a few weeks. The worry is accelerated bearing due to insufficient oil around the head bearings. Unfortunately, Grizzly no longer stocks the oil seals. I know bearing part numbers are universal and can be cross-sourced, but I don't think that applies to oil seals.

Has anyone found compatible oil seals for this lathe?

Last edited:
Thanks, it may be more straightforward than I realized. Funny that the Timken seal catalog you referenced has a Russia link!

The Grizzly owners manual list seals and their sizes. For example the two spindle seals - 62A as 80mm ID 100mm OD and 12mm thick and 62B as 60mm ID 80mm OD and 12mm thick. These are double lip seals and regular rubber or even Viton Hitemp rubber will not matter. Just about any bearing supplyhouse and some auto parts places can look these up and order if so.

You have to note that there are 2 o-rings on the outboard side of the spindle. There is a sleeve #29 that the o-rings are used to seal against lost of the oil for that bearing. Number 66A and B

just a point of information...

you can get the seals online too from ebay, amazon, motion industries, Kaman Bearing, Applied Industrial Technologies , etc.

don't get too wrapped up in the thickness of the seal, sometimes replacement seals are made to different specifications.
as long as you ID and OD are correct, the thickness of the seal is rarely a cause for concern.
so long as the dimensions of a thicker seal would not interfere with other accouterments, it's just fine to use a thicker seal.
but usually that is not the case.
usually you will receive a seal that is thinner than the OEM.
in that case, install the seal to seat flush. don't push the seal past the housing , and you'll be just fine.
lube the seal lips before installation with the fluid to be used in the gearbox,
or try some STP oil treatment, it works well too ;)

single lip seals wear the shaft the least, but leak easier
double lip seals seal better, but wear the shaft in a wider path- in time

Thank you very much; looks like I'll be checking into getting some new seals. It's funny the Amazon pricing - somewhere between a couple dollars and ~$270, for one!

I wonder what's involved in disassembling the lathe to the point that the seals can be replaced, guess we'll see!

This lathe had bad seals until around 1986 when they finally fixed the problem. Please post your dissassembly if you manage it, there's a bunch of us who would benefit!

I was gifted the same lathe. It’s really worn. I’ll be following this thread. Runout is bad and everything is out of alignment. I’ll start my own thread on it soon. I don’t think there’s a drop of oil in it. I don’t even know what oil to use.

Tony.

Attachments

• 67711747-CD69-4A1F-B792-FA71D6A2BB79.jpeg
    67711747-CD69-4A1F-B792-FA71D6A2BB79.jpeg
    51.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 578453D6-24FE-43E2-AD35-93DE24C62917.jpeg
    578453D6-24FE-43E2-AD35-93DE24C62917.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 57
OK you are gonna love this. You have a very late model 12X37, from the late 90s perhaps. They didn't make the stand until about 1990 or 1991.

Use way oil on the ways. Use anything in the apron (carriage) such as AW32 or 68. In the headstock try aw32 (have fun getting it in the little holes)! If that leaks out due to bad seals, you are in the same boat as us, and stay tuned...

Mine is from '81, still straight and tight as a drum with very little backlash - of course I'm the original owner, and I've cared for it. The ways are hardened and it was made in Taiwan, so your chucks should be superb. My 3 and 4 jaw are both about 8" and as tight as a drum. You should rebuild and relube your chucks (use grease on the scroll and a very light film of oil every where else in the chucks)..

Alignment is tricky because of how light it is, but you have to level your bed in both planes, and you will find it has superb ways - large for a lathe in its class.

Back