Possible Grizzly DF-1237G Restoration, Oil Seals?

The nut was discontinued and redesigned. It’s not available for purchase from Grizzly anymore.

Hopefully, this will get me by for a while until I can afford a better lathe.

Tony.

Last edited:
With the cross feed nut being loose, it encourages you to be careful in a way that will serve you well in all machining tasks. It can be used -if used carefully - until the bronze nut is almost gone. I've used a machine with .080 slop in the cross feed and did reasonable work on it.

Nice thing about cross feed screws: they are all very similar in design. as long as you get a matching nut and screw, and the diameter of the thrust bearing and screw are close, a very nice replacement can be accomplished, even if it means shortening the screw, or making a bushing for the rear contact, etc.

Stay with a bronze nut. It will wear out before the more expensive lead screw, and just replace the nut with another bronze one 20 years from now.;)

I'm wondering what the Grizzly DF-1237G is worth these days? It does have a nice Aloris tool holder.

I'm wondering what the Grizzly DF-1237G is worth these days? It does have a nice Aloris tool holder.
with problems? scrap prices to some, the cost of an aloris tool post to others. If its a good lathe, $1500 locally here in Utah.

Hi guys

I just bought a used Enco version of this lathe and I’m trying to build up some info on it.

I just got it into the basement Sunday. It’s kind of heavy. It’s still on the floor. It didn’t come with a stand. I have a 1000lb fixture table I’m going to use for now. I hate to but it’s all I have at the moment.

I suspect the spindle May leak. I don’t see any evidence except for oil in the chip pan. Then when i had it at an angle coming down the stairs a lot of oil ran out of the carriage. I was a little suspicious of that.

It seems to be in reasonable condition. It has a build up on some of the parts like the change gear lever shafts. They have some places where oil has varnished and they stick so I have some cleaning to do.

Anyway, I was wondering how your new lathe is coming along now that you’ve had it a few months?

On a side note. I wonder if anyone knows if the yahoo groups for this lathe went IO or something when yahoo ended them? I was into the 9x20 group. Would mind the version for this model if they are still around. If anyone knows I’d appreciate it.91EBBFEA-AE27-4E2E-8D03-D741C837A3E0.jpeg

OK I have this model sold by Busy Bee. You seem to have the same vintage: it ruined the oil seals after 'n' hours of use (mine was about 80 hours). Mine still leak, as the first millwright failed to get the spindle out. I am working on a way to extract the spindle in a fairly low-risk way. This is not on my 'A' list right now, so it will be a loooong time before I get to it. (and I have other lathes)

Yours looks like the 12X28 version, and Mine is the 12X37, but the should both weigh the same, around 700 lbs.

-- need a manual? there is one in the downloads. Or I can send you a PDF of mine.

I have sort of a generic manual. It’s not very good. I’ll look for the downloads. What is yours like?

I have a Grizzly Lathe, Model DF-1237G, cabinet, and all sitting beside my shop under a tarp. Does anyone need parts? I also have the manual.

can you post a pic of the cabinet? my lathe is smaller and only sits on a table...

Back