Possible issues???

Whether it is a good price, decent condition, worth the effort is entirely up to you. If you can only purchase a machine that you can inspect - then likely you will have fewer that you can choose from. If you only purchase machines that you can inspect under power then you will have few to choose from (and the average price will be higher). I 100% agree that you should always run a machine before buying - I almost never do it this. Heck, if the machine still runs, then it is out of my price range. Of course my risk of getting a poor machine is higher, but I'm barely paying scrap metal prices.

If you can live with a $3000 loss - the go for it. If a $3000 loss is a big deal then you should find another hobby. Of course it is a crap shoot (so what, it may well work out fine, you'll learn lots, you can sell it on later - it is unlikely to be a complete loss). Even when you inspect it under power, take some cuts, ask an expert friend etc - it is still somewhat of a risk. Even a brand new machine can be a lemon.

I have purchased two mills sight unseen. I have purchased two machines that came in multiple cardboard boxes and chunks of iron, I have purchased three other machines based on poor / brief inspection (like one minute at the auction house). They have all worked out okay (well, conclusion still pending on two of the more serious projects).

Replacement in kind spindle bearings for that machine are probably 2x what you are saying that machine will end up costing you. I hope they are still okay.

In fact ,the Colchester roundhead does not have any seals.not the rubber kind ,anyway....but relies on oil slingers.....so a minor leak may be a sign of regular use,a major leak may be over filled........There are many other expensive thing that can be wrong,and NO WAY would I buy one without a thorough inspection,to include lifting the "lids", that goes triple with a $1 k freight bill on top.

Back