Possible Purchase of PM-25MV

A 4" vise is about ideal for this size machine. I can fit 3 on the table pretty easily, but a 4th wouldn't be out of the question if they were all the flat sided ones.

ebNNEWW.jpg

Sideways, they fit pretty darn perfectly too. On mine, the T slots are spaced just right to bolt it down.
ceTDzZj.jpg

For standard end mills, I don't go any bigger than 3/8". I use some larger insert end mills, but those I keep the DOC shallow and increase the width a little bit. The larger end mills start getting expensive fast and I don't see the benefit for a machine as small as ours.

I have an inexpensive no name boring head and a tormach arbor for it. It works just fine, but I wouldn't bother with the arbor if you aren't planning to CNC or go with tormach tooling eventually.

shooter123456: Do you use both conventional mill vises and CNC vises?

The CNC vises are narrower which allow them to be placed on their side? I think! Which do you recommend?

You're going with the PM-25 right? At only 275lbs I'd just call up one of my buddies and take it downstairs with a furniture dolly.

That's what I did! If you want to back it up with something so it doesn't get away from you, you can use a rock climbing belay device and a length of rope.

I put a 2x4 across the doorway and placed this device on the 2x4 with the rope fed through and tied to the dolly. It is a friction device so 1 person can easily control the lowering of 1000 lbs.

shooter123456: Do you use both conventional mill vises and CNC vises?

The CNC vises are narrower which allow them to be placed on their side? I think! Which do you recommend?
I do use both and I prefer the CNC ones. The conventional ones cause you to lose some useable work area because of the location of the holes for the hold down screws. It is much easier to maximize the work area using the CNC vises since you can clamp them down anywhere along the side. I don't ever use them on their side though and the ones I have are inexpensive so I don't know that I would trust them to be squared up on the side.

According to PM, the max end mill size is 3/4". Like you stated, I guess it depends on the material, but I do mostly Aluminum.
My rule of thumb for this size machine is 1/4" in steel and 3/8" in aluminum. I have cut 1/2" in steel and 3/4" in aluminum but it doesn't like it as much.

My rule of thumb for this size machine is 1/4" in steel and 3/8" in aluminum. I have cut 1/2" in steel and 3/4" in aluminum but it doesn't like it as much.

When I had my PM25 I used mostly 1/8", 1/4", and 3/8" in pretty much everything. If using a 3/8" in steel I used a rougher for stock removal, as it's easier on the machine. I think I had one or two 1/2" cutters then, but seldom used them.

I like the CNC vises for their flexibility and compact size. I have used my vises on their sides, but maybe only 1 in 50 parts that I make. It helps a lot if you have a tall part and don't have the needed Z clearance.

48.jpg

Well, I've been thinking long and hard about vises and decided to treat myself and my new PM-25MV and cry once and buy a Kurt DX4. The best deal I could see with shipping is from Ritchie Industrial Sales. Anyone use them before? Are they reputable? All Industrial Tool Supply is a close second.

Also, I see my status on PM is "Completed". Does that mean it's ready to ship?

Well, I've been thinking long and hard about vises and decided to treat myself and my new PM-25MV and cry once and buy a Kurt DX4. The best deal I could see with shipping is from Ritchie Industrial Sales. Anyone use them before? Are they reputable? All Industrial Tool Supply is a close second.

Also, I see my status on PM is "Completed". Does that mean it's ready to ship?
I bought the Shars 440V and am quite happy with it, not ready for the Kurt plunge yet I guess

Take a look at Glacern, I have a 5" on my PM940 very happy with it. I think they have Hallowen special , free shipping on vises.

Back