Possible To Convert Metric Mitutoyo Height Gauge To Imperial?

A cubit is a half a yard and a hogshead is 63 gallons so I think you better have another look at the Rosetta stone.

An interesting bit if trivia: 1 cm/min equals 1.002 furlongs/fortnight in case you are inclined to specify your feed rates in that manner.

A cubit is a half a yard and a hogshead is 63 gallons so I think you better have another look at the Rosetta stone.

An interesting bit if trivia: 1 cm/min equals 1.002 furlongs/fortnight in case you are inclined to specify your feed rates in that manner.
Just a Jolly Jape RJ, at the antiquated Imperial system.
If you must be pedantic a Cubit is variable and a Hogshead is 63 US gallons. 52.5 Imperial gallons, 238.5 litres, 1/4 tun or 6 Firkins, not including variables.
Glad this is in the metrology sections as metrology and metre come from the same Greek word metron (measure).
Talk about a hijacked thread:face slap:.
John.

Maybe Holescreek can help you get where you want to be. In the alternative, my first thought was to resell them then buy what you want.

Sorry for the delay in getting the model numbers. One was in the shop and every time I was in there, something shiny caught my attention. One is a 192-613 and the other is a 192-601. Both are strictly metric and as others have pointed out, I can always sell them and buy what I need which I might do.

As one very friendly gentleman pointed out, the factor is exactly 25.4 (which I have been aware of for over 45 years since Canada converted) but I don't really feel like converting every time I want to do a layout. During my toolmaker days, we did all of our work in inches despite the conversion since our customers were the big automakers back then and we dealt with mostly Americans. Most Canadians were tough to make the change also as you can imagine.

I am too old now to go with metric only and as a matter of fact, it is almost impossible to buy metric steel here. All of it is 1/4" x 1", 1" x 3", etc. Thanks for all of your help on this and the hijacking was fun to watch, so no offence taken.

And I thought this was a friendly site.

What exactly do you find unfriendly?

Advising someone that a simple conversion between inch and millimeters may be done with an inexpensive calculator, this you consider offensive or otherwise unfriendly? Please elaborate.

What exactly do you find unfriendly?

Advising someone that a simple conversion between inch and millimeters may be done with an inexpensive calculator, this you consider offensive or otherwise unfriendly? Please elaborate.
I don't think anyone wouldn't see "If you cannot deal with simple multiplication and division then buy a new tool..." as being a bit condescending. Maybe you didn't intend it that way but it was in my opinion.

I don't think anyone wouldn't see "If you cannot deal with simple multiplication and division then buy a new tool..." as being a bit condescending. Maybe you didn't intend it that way but it was in my opinion.

Touche, I should have written "if one dislikes translating a metric tool to inch dimensions" then buy an inch measuring tool.

I am a bit jaded however as I have worked in a machine shop for the last 30 years. As absurd as this may sound current practice often has 20 year old part drawings, (parts that we have made for 20 years or more) which are in inches are often dimensioned in millimeters, a bore that was .500 +.001-.000 is now 12.70 +.025 -.00 MM. I spend some part of my days translating inch based part dimensions into inches. This may be an ISO thing or engineers have decided that the metric system is better suited for this purpose, I personally prefer the SI system. However I am not going to buy another $10,000.00 worth of tools when a $6.00 calculator does an excellent job.

Back