Pot and switch types for remote VFD

Finally got a chance to try setting it up properly and the bugger won't do momentary switches, looks like I need latching switches. Also wondering how to get the speed spread over the whole turn of the 10k pot I have, I get to full speed in the fist quarter turn?

Look into the documentation to see what that particular controller needs. Maybe try a 5K or 2.5K pot for full range. Once the resistance is figured out it is better to have a multi turn pot like 10 turns to dial in the speed with more control.

If you are sure you get 100% speed just turn the pot to that setting and check the resistance with an ohm meter to give you the value.

The pot is a voltage divider. Whether it's 1K or 10K makes no difference...except the load it places on the 10V source. At half rotation it will supply 5v to the Analog input VI. Check program setting PD070. This sets the range for the Analog input. If it's "0", a 0 to 10V input gives you the full speed range. If it's "1" a 0 to 5V input will give you the full range. If you are getting the full speed at half rotation I will bet that it's set to "1". Attached is a settings list from a manual. I'm not sure what accuracy you need for speed settings, but a ten-turn pot seems like a lot of knob turning overkill. ;)

Ken
VFDAnalogIn.GIF

There are two common types of potentiometers linear taper (what you want) and logarithmic (also called audio) taper. You want a linear taper, behavior like you describe would be caused by a logarithmic taper. Also check that you have the correct pins on the potentiometer hooked to the proper terminals and double check that the connections are good. The Huanyang VFD's have particularly cheaped out connections.

There are two common types of potentiometers linear taper (what you want) and logarithmic (also called audio) taper. You want a linear taper, behavior like you describe would be caused by a logarithmic taper. Also check that you have the correct pins on the potentiometer hooked to the proper terminals and double check that the connections are good. The Huanyang VFD's have particularly cheaped out connections.
I have a 10k three pin linear pot.

So From what I read in other places for three wire on/off switching, the on switch needs to be normally open and the off switch normally closed. I have tried this and I would have to hold the on button on for it to run. Am I missing a setting?

The pot is a voltage divider. Whether it's 1K or 10K makes no difference...except the load it places on the 10V source. At half rotation it will supply 5v to the Analog input VI. Check program setting PD070. This sets the range for the Analog input. If it's "0", a 0 to 10V input gives you the full speed range. If it's "1" a 0 to 5V input will give you the full range. If you are getting the full speed at half rotation I will bet that it's set to "1". Attached is a settings list from a manual. I'm not sure what accuracy you need for speed settings, but a ten-turn pot seems like a lot of knob turning overkill. ;)

Ken
View attachment 250978
Yes, a 10 turn pot is not what I need. I tried setting pd70 to 1 and 0 and the difference is minimal, I have to turn it about one more number to get full speed when pd70 is set to 1.

Yes, a 10 turn pot is not what I need. I tried setting pd70 to 1 and 0 and the difference is minimal, I have to turn it about one more number to get full speed when pd70 is set to 1.
I just tried pd70 on number 4 setting and it now gets to full speed halfway around the dial so I'll live with that for now.

CluelessNewB,

The parameters pd071 thru pd076, how would these affect the operation of the 10K pot? I have a similar situation I'm dealing with. I've bought a NOS RatShack 10K pot I was going to try, about double the size of the one I'm currently using. The RatShack one is linear and the current one I'm using is supposed to be linear, but it acts exactly like the one Ropata is using. Not trying to hijack the thread, just trying to get additional information that may help both of us here. Ken

Oh, I forgot to mention, I have a similar VFD here too.

You can verify if they are linear easily. Connect an ohm meter to the center and one of the outside legs. Slowly turn the pot and watch the readings.

Can't help much with the VFD part as my first one isn't here yet. :)

Attached are Huanang default codes from a manual. I have several manuals, but these seem consistent. Also, is a PDF of an Excel file of the codes I have in my VFD. Some are the factory set, others are mine. As I remember I spent a lot of time searching the forums to see what others have used.
For a lot of the default settings of 50Hz, I used 400Hz, like PD003, PD004, PD005, and PD072. If anyone has a disagreement with this, I'm open. But these have worked so far.

Ken

More than you want:
Here are a lot of posts that I had looked at: https://en.industryarena.com/forum/huanyang-chinese-vfd-settings-manual-here--117782.html
Also Google: Huanyaun VFD programming codes

Attachments

• Huanyang defalut cosdes.pdf
    87.9 KB · Views: 11
  • VFD Program CodesWide.pdf
    24.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back