Potd - Project Of The Day- What Did You Do In Your Shop Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosephus

Registered
Registered
Todays project isnt as involved as some others .. but i had a few extra minutes .

Started making a new compound clamp for my g0602 .
Ill get some holes drill and tapped tomarow .. total time invested will be under 90 minutes if everything goes as planned
7d8ef7bae2231cb05bdfbcdf9dc16485.jpg

7d8ef7bae2231cb05bdfbcdf9dc16485.jpg

drs23

Active User
Registered
This isn't going on anything for NASA but a Shovelhead I'm finishing up a 'frame off' on. The owner wanted to sprinkle in a few brass bits in memory of his brother. I sourced the kicker pedal he wanted and found a brass oil bag plug as well. The tranny fill plug was just butt ugly so :brightidea:.

I knew I had one little piece of brass round stock.

So I started with this:

DSCN0596_zps43d820b4.jpg

And found this hiding in there (These things have a tendency to seep around this plug so I cut an 0-Ring receiver groove):

DSCN0601_zps32ad6525.jpg

Here's the 35yo OEM piece being replaced:

DSCN0593_zpsc3de12c6.jpg

And here it is at home:

DSCN0603_zps5c4aa73f.jpg

I got to use my brandy new Aloris knurling tool that was given to me a while back. It sure beats the scissor type that came with my import tool holders to heck and back.

Thanks for looking.

DSCN0596_zps43d820b4.jpg

DSCN0601_zps32ad6525.jpg

DSCN0593_zpsc3de12c6.jpg

DSCN0603_zps5c4aa73f.jpg

F

f350ca

Forum Guest
Register Today
Assembled one of the short wall sections in the shop today. Thought it might help to have the overhead crane for the first one, looks like they're going to go together and square up pretty easily.

IMG_1433.jpg

IMG_1433.jpg

John Hasler

Active User
Former Member
Found a fairly nice 3/8" drill chuck with a beat-up integral shaft in my inherited junk and made it usable on my mill.

The shaft was about 4" long and .530" diameter. I put a chunk of 1/2" shaft in the spindle chuck on the Logan and turned an inch or so of it down to .375". I then clamped the chuck on it and checked the runout on the shaft: about .015 out 3". Center drilled the end of the shaft, stuck a center in it and then turned the shaft down to .500". Cut it off, polished it until it fit a 1/2" collet and stuck it in the mill. After a bit of fairly gentle adjusting with a rubber mallet it shows .001" TIR on a precision pin close to the jaws.

Tomorrow I'll stick something long and straight in it and see how much it wobbles out a few inches.

F

f350ca

Forum Guest
Register Today
Have the timber frame on my shed assembled, now for a roof.

IMG_1445.jpg

Greg

IMG_1445.jpg

woodtickgreg

Active User
Registered
Very cool Greg, I am enjoying watching this, thanks for taking the time to post for us.

jmhoying

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Have the timber frame on my shed assembled, now for a roof.

Greg

Greg,
That's a good looking frame! I did a bit of timber framing about 30 years ago. Built a couple large shelter houses for a park, and did all the actual cutting and drilling at a historic themed festival. The lumber was cut at a sawmill to 8x8s, 4x4s etc, but all the other work was done on-site with only hand powered equipment. An older gentleman who built many barns in his younger days taught us a lot about using a square for simple and quick layout. Amazingly enough, when the parts were assembled a few weeks later at a different site, everything fir!
Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio

F

f350ca

Forum Guest
Register Today
Thanks guys. Was a fun project but can't imagine me doing it all by hand Jack. Spent too much time last winter digging through the snow to find stuff, hopefully this will help and finally give the tractor some shelter from the elements. I sawed the 6x6's from red pine that was knocked down in a storm a year ago, a couple of afternoons and I had enough logs home. Some of it was stained in the log, then the pile stained this summer with all the rain we received. A couple of big white pines had to be taken down at the local cemetery, I was offered the logs, they yielded enough 1 x 10 's for the siding, so the building so far has only cost me the ties I put on the ground and the doweling to lock the joints and a bit of diesel fuel for the tractor and sawmill. Unfortunately now I have to buy material to put the roof on,

Greg

Bill C.

Active User
Registered
I like inserts too. They beat those helicoil thread replacements any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock