Potd - Project Of The Day- What Did You Do In Your Shop Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Round in circles

Active User
Registered
Mark ,
Did you try to heat the spike from room temp using both methods ie with & without the shim ?
If you didn't and now do it will you tell us the best timed heating result please?

eeler1

Dang, buggered that up too!!
H-M Platinum Supporter
Nothing fancy, no flames, trailers, backplates, or similar fine work to show, actually no pics. But, did pull the apron off the Logan lathe and put some liquid gasket material along the bottom between the clamshells. been meaning to do it for a while now, as otherwise all the oil leaks out of the apron in short order. Messy and a waste of oil. I'll fill it back up tomorrow and see how well it sealed.

chevydyl

Active User
Registered
Be careful with heat and concrete, I've seen it pop chips out from direct heat. Badass burner though, I'm gonna make mine out of a microturbine fuel nozzle/injector as I was able to score a couple from work that had been used but not used up

BillWood

Registered
Registered
Succesfully cut 1 1.5" 8tpi external thread and a 1.5" 8tpi internal thread.

This duplicates my spindle nose and helps gauge things in future. No need to remove chucks faceplates etc just use these things.

Was amazed at how a relatively tiny piece of swarf jammed the threads - thought I'd made a mistake in cutting them but a close look revealed a tiny piece of swarf that hadnt cut properly and was still attached to base of the V in internal thread.

And now the big job - This was a practice run prior to reboring a couple of Myford faceplates to 1.5" and cut 8tpi to fit my 9" Hercus (SB clone)

kingmt01

Registered
Registered
Nice work on the backing plate & I so agree on the cast. I hate working that stuff.

T Bredehoft

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
No pictures, but I've done all I can on my lathe toward making a 4 tool post which will mount on the saddle, not the compound. It will be far more solid than the original Lantern Post. Now, Matt, I need my PM25.

markknx

Active User
Registered
Mark ,
Did you try to heat the spike from room temp using both methods ie with & without the shim ?
If you didn't and now do it will you tell us the best timed heating result please?

Good Idea. I will try to do this tomorrow. I have a few spikes so I don't have to wait to cool them down

kvt

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Mark,
you may have the same problem I had when I built a foundry out of an old propane tank, it will have to be readjusted. Burners like that produce a lot of heat, and yours looks better than mine.
and mine melted some cast iron., Left if a to long in the wrong spot, as I had a hot spot.

markknx

Active User
Registered
Kvt, not sure what problem you are talking about. too much heat? or readjusting it? I am sure the whole forge is going to be a learning curve. the good thing is really if I get hot enough to forge weld it will be good. If I can maintain a fairly steady heat even better. if I get a real control of the heat awesome. because then it can be used to temper. The regulator will allow me to control the burner but heat build up may make it hard to hold low heats at a steady heat. 450-800.
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock